At the start of each year, people write out their New Year’s Resolutions and strive to make big changes to their lifestyle and routine. However, as the months move on, more and more people lose motivation. In fact, only 9% of people successfully achieve their resolutions.
Three common goals people set out to accomplish each year are:
- Break a bad habit
- Get healthy and fit
- Save money
If you feel as though your resolutions are starting to fall by the wayside here are three ways that tech can help you stay motivated and increase your productivity. From reading self-improvement articles and tracking progress on productivity apps, to listening to positive-thinking podcasts, technology is making it easier to keep your resolutions, renew energy and stay on track all year long.
Tech can catch your bad habits
Everyone has a bad habit they can’t seem to quit, and each year, people vow to rid themselves of it. The problem with a habit is you often aren’t aware of it: it’s ingrained in your behavior and patterns subconsciously. This year, hold yourself accountable—or recruit a partner or friend to help you stay accountable. Consider installing an indoor security camera in your home or office to track yourself and catch your bad habits.
At the end of the day, review the feed—alone or with the partner you recruited for help—and see how many times you browsed social media, bit your nails, or smoked a cigarette. Indoor security cameras are small and discreet tech that can help you track your habits and successfully stop them.
Apps can help you achieve mental wellness and physical fitness
As spring approaches with hints of warm weather and blue skies, it’s time to focus on health and wellness. There are plenty of mental health and fitness apps that promote relaxation, help reduce stress, quell anxiety and track exercise. Here are eight health apps that are worth the download:
Mental Health Apps
- Headspace—This app will walk you through guided meditations and breathing exercise to clear your head.
- Deep Sleep with Andrew Johnson—A good night’s sleep is essential to good health. This app provides guided mediations to lull you into a deep sleep.
- Talk Space—Connect with a licensed therapist and have on-demand access to discuss emotions throughout the day.
- Buddhify—Pick your mood and this app will offer select activities and meditations based on your current mindset and needs.
Physical Fitness Apps
- Sworkit—This app delivers a variety of different workouts from cardio to strength training options.
- Lose It! This app is a great way to track your diet and exercise regime to maintain long-term goals.
- WaterBalance—This app is great to help you stay hydrated and make sure you drink the right amount of water each day.
- Sugar Sense—This app helps you track your sugar intake and monitors glucose levels throughout each day.
You can find these apps in the app store for your device.
Home automation can save you money
Saving money is one of the top resolutions each year. As such, it’s only fitting to start outfitting your home with “smart” features. Not only will it modernize your home, but you can save money on your energy bills. Home automation allows you to control things like lighting, temperature, locks, and sprinklers, from your smartphone or tablet.
- Smart lights–Smart lights make it easy for you to control the brightness of your lights using your phone. You can also turn them on and off, even if you aren’t home. If you left the house in a hurry leaving all the lights on, you can simply turn them off and save money in the process.
- Smart thermostats--The average home spends 45 percent of energy on heating and cooling. A smart thermostat can save a homeowner up to $150 a year, paying for itself in the first two years. Because heating and cooling comprises a large chunk of a utility budget, homeowners can save money simply by installing and using a smart thermostat.
- Smart Sprinklers--Home automation features allow you to control your sprinklers remotely, thus saving you money on your water bill. You can adjust the duration and time when they turn on and off.
In a tech-driven world, use tech to your advantage. Technology can help you stay motivated, energized and achieve your goals year-round. As spring approaches, rejuvenate yourself using tech.