Technology can help us speed through some of life’s most tedious daily activities. Stuck in traffic? Let your GPS find you an alternate route. Sick of counting situps and calories? Just let your watch take care of it. And then there’s the king of tedious activities: house cleaning. Ever since iRobot’s Roomba appeared on the market in 2002, companies have looked for ways to automate any and every household chore. Today, we’re living in a veritable golden age of highly intelligent, highly motivated automated house cleaners. So sit back, relax, and let these robots do the dirty work.
iRobot Roomba 880 Vacuum Cleaning Robot
The original Roomba had a tendency to go in circles, run out of energy and, well, forget to clean. This certainly isn’t true of this new models. Gone are the days of watching your Roomba clean the same corner of the rug over and over.
The Roomba 880 has iDapt technology that allows it to memorize multiple rooms in your house. It also has a much improved self-cleaning technology, so you don’t have to use the time you save vacuuming the floor to clean out your vacuuming robot. Important to note: While the team at iRobot has improved everything about the Roomba, it’s still going to drive the cat crazy.
Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner
At just under $20, the Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner is by far the cheapest entry on this list, but that certainly doesn’t make it any less useful. Just hang it from your showerhead and watch as your shower stays clean for up to 30 days.
The 360 degree sprayer means that the whole shower gets clean, and you can always hit the “booster” button if you need a little extra power. It truly is the perfect shower for your shower.
Polaris 9300 Sport Premium Inground Robotic Pool Cleaner
Anyone with a pool will tell tell you they spend 10 percent of their time enjoying it and the other 90 percent cleaning it. There’s now an army of sturdy, intelligent robots that are more than willing to journey into the deepest recesses of your swimming pool to clean.
Without a doubt, the Polaris 9300 Sport Premium is the Cadillac of robotic pool cleaners. It features “vortex vacuum technology” and a rear water propulsion system, so it will pick up just about anything and go anywhere. It’s even smart enough to navigate around ladders and stairs.
Nest Learning Thermostat
Not all household technology is made for cleaning. The Nest Learning Thermostat is all about simplifying your life and saving you money. During the first week of installation, it keeps track of your heating and cooling habits to “learn” how you like the temperature in your house.
It turns itself down when nobody’s home, so you don’t waste money and energy cooling/heating an empty house. The app on your smartphone gives you full control over the device, letting you adjust the temperature from halfway around the world.
If dirty windows are a crime, then Winbot is Spiderman. Since appearing on the market in 2014, this window-cleaning robot has been winning awards for its ingenious design and innovative technology. Call it the anti-gravity Roomba.
You just fill it with cleaning solution, press it to a glass surface, and Winbot does the rest. Ecovac’s motto is “Live Smart. Enjoy Life,” and with three models to suit every window size and glass type, Winbot makes that sentiment pretty hard to argue with.