Dropbox is an online file backup service which offers users up to 2 GB storage space for free. Once you have set up your Dropbox account, you can sync the files (on Dropbox) across multiple computers. The Dropbox 
client can be downloaded for Windows, Mac, Linux and Mobile. Once installed, the client will automatically sync your computer with the cloud based service. This ensures you have all the files on all the PCs you use. In this tutorial, we will learn how to configure the Dropbox client in Windows 7, and ease access to it, using Windows 7 features. Configure Dropbox for your PC
Since we will be dealing with the Windows 7 taskbar now, I am going to show you how to install Dropbox on a Windows 7 PC.
1. Before proceeding to the setup, you will need to register for a free account
with Dropbox. If you already have a Dropbox account, skip this step. You can also register while setting up the client as mentioned in step 3.
2. Download the Dropbox client for Windows
. Double-click the downloaded file to start the installation. Press the button Install
3. Once the installation is complete, you will be prompted to choose if you have or do not have a Dropbox Account.
If you do have a Dropbox account, proceed to step 4.
If you do not have a Dropbox account, choose I don’t have a Dropbox account
. Now enter the details in Dropbox Setup
and click Next
4. Choose the 2nd option, I already have a Dropbox account
and click Next
5. Enter your login details, put a suitable name for the PC you are connecting, and click Next
6. Wait for some time. You will be prompted to choose a plan to use. I will be choosing the free plan that offers 2 GB storage. Proceed, using Next
7. Once in the next step, you can take a short tour about Dropbox, or choose the Skip tour and click the Finish
button to proceed to the final step of the setup.
8. In the final step, you can choose to use the default Dropbox folder (which is My Dropbox
within My Documents) or define your own folder.
Select I want to choose where to put my Dropbox folder
, then, click the Change
button and select the folder.
9. Press Finish
to complete Dropbox setup. Once that is done, check the notification area for the animated Dropbox icon.
Now that you have installed the Dropbox client, it will automatically download all the files (if any) from the online backup service. The files can be found in the Dropbox folder that you chose in step 8. Add Dropbox to Windows 7 Start Menu
Now we will see how we can add Dropbox to the Start Menu not by pinning, but by assigning a steady link just like My Computer in the right side of the Start Menu.
1. Open Start Menu and right-click on any space on it and choose Properties
2. Click Customize
and in the next dialog box, scroll down to the bottom until you find the item named Videos
. Choose the first option (Display as a link
) listed below it.
3. Save the changes by clicking OK
4. Now open Start Menu again and you will find Videos in the right side. Right click on it and choose Rename
. Name it Dropbox or anything you like.
5. After the name is changed, right click on it again and choose Properties
6. In the properties window, connect the Dropbox folder using the button, Include a folder…
Choose General Items
from the dropdown below (refer to screenshot above). Press OK
to save the changes. Add Dropbox to Windows 7 Taskbar
You can add Dropbox to Windows 7 taskbar using any of the following methods.
1. Open the Start Menu and type Dropbox
. When the Dropbox appears in the result, right click on it and choose Pin to Taskbar
2. If you have a Dropbox shortcut on the desktop, drag and drop it on to the taskbar to add it there.
3. Right click on the desktop Dropbox shortcut and choose Pin to Taskbar. Add Dropbox to Windows 7 Library
Adding Dropbox to libraries ensures you get a quick access from the explorer window. Let us see how we can add Dropbox as a Library.
1. Open Windows Explorer. A keyboard shortcut is Wndows Key + E
2. In the left pane (navigation pane), right-click on Libraries
and create a new library.
3. Name the library anything you feel is suitable. Once it is created, click it to go to the library.
4. Now click the button, Include a folder
and choose the Dropbox folder.
Apart from these methods, you can also access the Dropbox folder by double-clicking its notification area icon. Integrating Dropbox to Windows 7 makes it easier for you to access it when you need it. If you face any problem regarding the procedures feel free to ask.