6 Responses to “Autologin with Windows”

1. Carolyn Sheetz says:

Can you give the instructions on how to do this on XP?

2. Pam says:

My laptop (XP professional) boots up without needing the pain of logon/password BUT, when I leave my laptop for 15 minutes it goes into screensaver mode. Now when I hit a key to bring my screen back up, there’s where it requires me to click on a user acct & tells me a program is running under my account. Any suggestions on how to remove it? Thanks!

3. Lee says:

You neglected to mention that this feature – control userpasswords2 – is a Vista command and if I recall I also used it in XP – but is not present in Win 7.
    I wish it were; was a great tool. I used it to enable CAD “3 finger” logins for further security. I haven’t even found that feature in Win 7 yet. Thanks.

4. Marie says:

Great tip! I am now using this on both my laptop and my PC. It’s a real time saver, thanks!

5. Jay Neil Patel says:

Carolyn — Check the Autologin feature under Tweak UI for Windows XP. You can find the whole scoop about Tweak UI here using WorldStart’s search.

Pam — Right click your desktop, select Properties, Screensaver, and uncheck the box that says “Require password upon waking” and you should be good!

Thanks!

6. Jay Neil Patel says:

Lee — did a little research and you are correct this feature is not native to Windows 7. However, if you open up the Registry Editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
    and follow these steps.
    – Set AutoAdminLogon = 1 (create it if doesn’t exist its a string variable)
    – Set DefaultUserName = your username (create it if doesn’t exist its a string variable)
    – Set DefaultPassword = your password (create it if doesn’t exist its a string variable)

You should be able to follow the instructions above. Please give it a try and post back if you encounter any difficulties.

Thanks!