AVG Says My Tablet Has Been Rooted! What Now?

Monday, August 25th, 2014 by | Filed Under: Android

Roma from Colorado writes:

I have an 10″ Android tablet and I recently put antivirus software on it (AVG Free) I’m getting a security alert for Settings, the message is:
Unsecure privilege mode detected. Your device is running in High Privilege mode (i e it has been rooted) We recommend using only genuine firmware. Is this something i should be concerned about? and if so how do I fix it?

Hello Roma!

Great question, and apparently a fairly common issue. The good news is, in most cases, it’s nothing to worry about.

To root a tablet or phone generally will make any sort of warranty void. Rooting is not an easy thing to do and typically cannot be done on accident. Nor is it something recommended to do by Worldstart, as it can cause lots of problems on the device if not done or used properly.

If you have never rooted the tablet and have been careful about apps you have installed, this is likely nothing to worry about. You can simply just mark the check box to ignore the warning in the future as it is really nothing to be too concerned about. Or you can also try a different antivirus program, as it seems to be AVG comes up with false positives more than others.

The final option would be to try a Factory Reset which will set all settings back to the original, factory settings. Keep in mind, this will erase everything you have saved on the tablet, including all Apps, pictures, and all your settings.

– Audra

Tags: , ,

11 Responses to “AVG Says My Tablet Has Been Rooted! What Now?”

1. K.Vee.Shanker. says:

Hi Audra,

I’ve been wondering why device suppliers should object to rooting their hand held devices, as more and more applications are demanding it!

2. lyn buerger says:

AVG thinks everything is a virus, It blocks nearly every program I try to use but I still get adware dumped on my computer.

3. Lamar Wilkie says:

I am an Android enthusiast and modder since 2009. I can tell you, straight up, that a factory reset will NOT unroot any device: all it will do is clear the cache and Dalvik cache, wipe the /data partition (all user data) and restore factory settings in the /system partition to out-of-the-box state. But it will still be rooted.

This user must have bought the tablet used, from someone who rooted it. And no, use of a rooted device and not knowing what you’re doing isn’t mostly harmless: it’s like playing with matches in a dynamite factory. One wrong move in a system setting or file explorer and you could jack that thing up BAD. She could delete a system file or app, rendering her tablet an expensive paperweight. That’s what root is: giving the user unrestricted access to the root system files on the device.

This user needs to get an app called Root Checker and verify root status. Then get a one-click root app (Towelroot comes to mind) and UNROOT the tablet. Once she’s back to stock, she’s safe.

4. lynn turton says:

Tried to open root checker programme but it says I don’t have authority should I be worried and is their anything I can do to unroot my device I bought as new but avg says its been rooted

5. lynn turton says:

Root checker says this device does not have a root user am I safe to use the tablet as avg says its been rooted or is there something I can do I bought the tablet as new

6. Kevin Loughrey says:

My brother asked me to help him with a similar problem. He purchased a PiPo m9 tablet and then foolishly bought AVG for it. AVG is most probably a needless expense for an unrooted Android.

AVG reports his tablet as being rooted but a thorough check reveals it is not.

AVG, by the way, is an excellent Anti-virus application for Windows machines because Windows, for a raft of reasons, is much easier to break into and much more difficult to find and extract malicious software from.

All Android devices sold commercially are unrooted.

To root them is not a trivial matter and there is no known software that can do it automagically without your knowledge and special codes obtained from the manufacturer. If it were possible for software, like a virus, to root an Android, it would be considered a major bug and around 50,000 Open Source developers would sacrifice their holidays to find a fix!… such is the zeal and dedication of these dear folk.

So if you purchased the Android new from a reputable source and you have not applied to the manufacturer for the necessary codes to root it, it is almost certainly not rooted.

Simply tick the check box provided by AVG to ignore this warning.

And unless you know a lot about Linux (which is the kernel of Android), or you are seeking to have fun with Linux, do not root your phone.

7. Shiva says:

I erased but shows same

8. William says:

Not sure if ill get a reply here but worth a shot. I got my son (4) a like new s4 off ebay. He likes to play kid games and I figured since he knows how to use a phone already it would be alright to get hom one so he don’t hog my phone lol. Avg popped up the same message. I noticed too there is a notification once and blue moon that pops up saying kingouser binary out of date. Or su binary out of date. Is that a root program? Its a att i337 a legit one checked with samsung and prior did the *# check. During process my router was acting up and thought it was phone so did factory reset and a safe mode reset to factory also. My concern is the phone being rooted or having some privilege I dont know of and someone activating the camera or something. Since I did factory reset should I be safe? I plan to get with att soon and get a sim to update to lollipop for it since its at the 4.2.2 android and I csnt update without sim. Tried kies but says its not capable on the model. Just the few little things has me wondering. The seller seemed legit and was decent had sent a verizon one by accident but seems to be into the used phone business allot. No complaints just dont want unknown program or altered firmware logging stuff my son does or the cam be watchkng him from some odd place out there. Any thoughts? Also its just for wifi and games.

• cynthia says:

I wouldn’t be too worried. AVG is known for giving false positive alerts that tablets have been rooted. Android is a little different on every tablet and sometimes the changes made to the basic Android tablet by the manufacturer causes AVG to give this reading.

9. Suryakant says:

Somehow Mobogenie entered by phone. It has the option “Root your device”. I clicked on it, not knowing its repercussions. In what way rooting the device is harmful? And how do I unroot it?

10. aakash says:

How can I protect my root ?