Back To Basics: Some People Need The Help

Tuesday, June 13th, 2017 by | Filed Under: Uncategorized

In response to our Back To Basics tip discussing the differences between an operating system and a browser, we heard from Bruce:  “Okay, I can be a little picky, but being in IT since 1968 (and still active) all I could do was wonder if there were still such people in the world. They my daughter called, and it could have been your callers. Then my wife asked me a VERY similar question. Some things will NEVER change. Hopefully, the few people that actually take the time to read it will without assuming it doesn’t apply to them will learn something.”

confused-woman

Thanks, Bruce. That’s why I like to revisit the basics of PC, phone, and tablet operation. What’s old hat to one person can be a strange new world to others.  And often times people are too embarrassed to ask questions, so they just go one not knowing what something is or being mistaken about it.

One example is that I know quite a few people who thought a browser was the mouse. It makes sense, you do use a mouse to browse your computer. When we’re too immersed in the language of something like tech, or cars, or even cooking, we sometimes forget that those terms aren’t familiar to others.

Do you have a basic tech question, you’ve been afraid to ask? Come on, just ask us in the comments.

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to “Back To Basics: Some People Need The Help”

1. Donald Anderson says:

Although not about tech itself, I’ve wondered a basic question about computer careers… like what skills I need in any computer career, where to look for work using computers, and what types of careers (categories/job titles) there are that focus more on computer skills than on other skills?

2. Charles Enselman says:

We have always been told that there are no stupid questions only stupid
    answers. That is as true today as it was 50 years ago.

3. Charles Gricko says:

I have a security and maintenance question.
    Are there any known programs that will significantly slow down Win 10? My start menu is limited to Zone Alarm Extreme Security but other programs seen to run by themselves.

4. Trish says:

Cynthia, Gremlins are attacking my PC. The other day I sent in a question about my start screen icons all moving the left side of the screen. It was really unnerving when I booted up. Yesterday I moved them back to where I wanted them, today they are back again lined up on the left side of the screen. I don’t know why they insist in being there, but I want them where I feel comfortable with them being. Did I change something I forgot about that makes them go back to left side of screen, or is there really a PC Gremlin? Really unnerved, Trish

5. judy says:

I love the back to basics feature, Cynthia. I teach the basics to seasoned citizens and I used to give them a handout of basic terms they should know. I’d cover the list with them, We all enjoyed learning together.
    Now, in current times, I ask what is your operating system and I receive replies from Google to it’s a tablet.
    People want computers and tablets for; emailing, Facebook and games.
    People are not aware they can search and find most issues online. Pity.

6. Joann Robinson says:

Thank you for NOT thinking that everyone should know everything about computers, even it they have been around for a long time now. I had to learn on my own (not a good thing) or someone showed me that you have to click here, then right click, then click on this to work; never the reason why you are doing this. I think you tips are very valuable!

7. Joan Cave says:

OK. Here’s another dumb question. Sometimes, in logging out of a site, you will see the recommendation that you should close your browser after logging out. I have never really known what that means, i.e. how to do it. So usually, I restart my computer, figuring that will do whatever is needed. But probably there is a simpler way.

8. Gayle Licari says:

Is there a good inexpensive photo program I can install on an external drive for my photos. I don’t like them in a cloud nor Google product. Thank you. Gayle