looking for freeware

Beware Of This Noisy Scam

Friday, October 21st, 2016 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips, Security Help, Using The Internet

Scammers are always changing their tactics to take advantage of computer users.  There’s a new one out there that I wanted to tell you about. We’ve talked before about fake virus pop-ups that direct you to scam tech-support sites. This new one adds the element of sound.

fakeadcrop

A window will open and you’ll hear a voice telling you that your computer has just been infected and that you need to call a certain number right now to fix it. What’s worse, there’s a scary countdown that says you only have 5 minutes to call or else.

In the past few days a friend of mine’s mother, our graphic artist’s father-in-law, and my father-in-law  were hit by this same scam. It’s completely FAKE!  If your virus software detects a virus, it fixes it. It won’t direct you to a number to call. These crooks just want to get your credit card number or access to your computer.

What you’re hearing is just a pop-up ad. There is no legitimate scenario under which a voice will tell you there’s an issue with your PC and have you call a number. Got it? Promise? If it happens, just shut the browser to make it go away. If you can’t get the browser to shut regularly, try pressing the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys to bring up task manager. Then you can just choose your browser and select end task.

If your browser offers you the ability to restore the last session when you re-open, don’t choose it. You don’t want to go back to where you were and get stuck with that nasty pop-up.

If you’re actually concerned about your computer run a scan with your always up-t0-date security software.

Tags: , , , ,

7 Responses to “Beware Of This Noisy Scam”

1. Don Barton says:

Cynthia
    Great info. I’m sure it will prevent many users from falling for these scams.
    Agree, just run a scan with your virus software.
    Thanks for your many warnings and tips to keep us safe. WorldStart needs to give you a raise!
    Thanks
    Don

2. Larry says:

Thanks for the heads up. Good information to know.

3. linda gieo says:

yes ive got several calls about a computer fix I ask them for identification and said I didn’t need it just
    give me a credit card and they’ll fix it the laugh about it is I’m doing some work on the computer at the time and not having any problems I told them so and hung up I have my own teck suppot to call for trouble

4. Gloria AMAN says:

Hi Cynthia, After reading your article here, just had to let you know there is another “Scam ” that’s pretty scary. It was for me. While online, thought I was safe when this message appeared on my computer screen:
    Dear Daily Communication Customer(not the real name of the cable company), Your IP:**.***.*.*** has been detected with Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge 13.10586. Please call toll free number below for a certified technican to help you resolve the issue. 1-855-267-8490. there was more writings on my pc screen.Anyway I let my guard down and then know that it my pc had been hacked until the person called me back and when I started asking questions they got mad and hung up. So I called my IT friend and told him what had happen and he ask me to bring my new pc to him and he’s fix it for me. I was so thankful he fixed it and he told me that I wasn’t the only one that’s pc had been hacked in recent weeks.I had to go to my bank and close out my bank account, all personal information had to be deleted as well as new user id’s and passwords for most of the sites I visit. Afterwards I contacted Microsoft and gave them the phone numbers from these people as well as the whole conversation and everything that came up on my pc screen. It looked like it was really from my Cable company, I had no idea but I am now alot more careful and hope something can be done. I was told by Microsoft that hackers love the new Internet Explorer The Edge aka as Internet Explorer in the past, said that they use it as it’s really easy to hack into. Sure hope people will be more careful, I know I will be from now on.AS it has caused me lots of problems and time.

5. Jane says:

This happened to me a couple weeks ago, it scared me, but I just ignored it to see if what I was working on would stay there, it did, but the pop up kept popping up and was very annoying….I ran a malware software and it fixed it… I was really relieved I didn’t fall for the scam.

6. Kathy says:

Hi, I’m so glad you post these alerts. It never hurts to hear what scammers are up to even it I hear it 10 times a day. Your warnings help me maintain sound judgement.
    Kathy

7. Jan Robinson says:

Last week I opened FireFox and I got an orange screen saying that there is a FireFox update. Click the update button. Two guesses, first one don’t count. I clicked the button. Not good. I Got 4 issues when I ran my Malwarebytes program. One was a Trojan & one a Rootkit. Got rid of them, but I still wasn’t sure so contacted Malwarebytes and gave step by step instructions to get rid of some other stuff – adware – ran AdwCleaner (I think that’s the name). So I think my computer is CLEAN now.
    I’ve told all my friends about the fake FireFox update.