Can I Remove Google Apps From My Phone?

Tuesday, December 1st, 2015 by | Filed Under: Uncategorized

Stuart has a problem that a lot of us experience with our phones: He writes:  “Is it possible to delete some Google apps from my Galaxy 2. I have run Clean master which has not changed the device memory (Total 1.97GB – Available 276MB)It did seem to delete about 2GB of something. I have plenty of USB and SD card storage and have moved as many apps as I can to them using Apps 2 SD. I do not want to root the device.”

Google, the maker of the Android operating system makes several apps like Gmail and Google Drive part of that OS, and you cannot remove them or move them to an SD card.

Google-apps

When you look at these apps in App Manager, there’s no option to uninstall or to move to an SD card. However, you can disable the app, which will prevent the installation of updates. You can also clear out the app data, which should save you some room.  You can also clear the data and the cache for those apps you don’t use. I was able to clear up a few GBs by doing this, but it took some time.

gmail-app-disable

In addition to apps installed by Google, you will also find some installed by your phone’s manufacturer. My Galaxy S4 has several Samsung apps.

shealth-samsung-apps

But wait – there’s more!  Your phone service provider will also install their own apps that you can’t remove.

verizon-apps

Those apps take up a lot of space! So what can you do? To avoid apps from phone providers, you could purchase an unlocked phone, but you can end up paying several hundred dollars more.

If you want to miss out n those pesky manufacturer’s apps, you could by a Nexus phone. These are manufactured by Google and considered “pure” Android. But since they’re pure Android, they are also pure Google and you’ll still have those pre-installed Google apps.

I’m with you about rooting the phone. I don’t suggest it.

Tags: , , , , , ,

6 Responses to “Can I Remove Google Apps From My Phone?”

1. Roy says:

This did not really answer the question… I think it would have been much easier to say you cannot delete this apps instead of the long-winded reply given here.

• cynthia says:

Roy: I actually said that you couldn’t remove the apps in the first sentence of my reply. So, if a reader wasn’t interested in learning more about it, they could have easily stopped there. But for those who were interested, I thought they might want to know that there are other apps besides Google apps that you can’t remove, plus why these apps are there and how to manage to clear up a little space even if you can’t remove them. I’ve found most of our readers here aren’t looking for yes or no answers. They’d like to know why and about any possible alternative solutions to their problem.

2. Diane says:

I have a Sony phone which I only use for calls, send & receive text messages, take photos and check emails. I do not use and have no intention of using any of the games apps, movies apps read a book etc
    My phone keeps telling me I need to update Google play services but there is no room to do so. Do I need Google play services I do not even know what that is.

• Keith Monson says:

Google play “services” are not necessary unless you use “books”, “movies” and “apps” from the play store. If you are not a user and you have the option to stop those updates then go ahead. If you play games you will want to let “google play games” update. Also get all the updates from “Google play store” as they include security updates to keep bad apps from sneaking in.

3. Keith Monson says:

This is all good advice but if you “power cycle” your phone (turn it off and on again) everything will come back to life and you have to start over. Along with Clean Master (which does automatically clean cashes and the like). Add an app called “Easy Uninstaller” what this does is take all the apps you don’t use and returns them to their original (smaller) version. This saves a ton of space (however the apps will update so make sure that if you do this you keep an eye on your data usage) I use Wifi so it’s not a concern for me. I basically use this “trick” when I want to install something (or update an app I do use) to make extra room. My phone is cheap and only has 2 gig on board. I don’t know why Android doesn’t act like a computer and let the SD card (I have 32 gigs on that puppy) act like a hard drive!

4. Stuart says:

Thanks Cynthia.
    My phone does not have the Disable tab. I do not have a lot of apps loaded so it looks like I will just have to live with low system memory which only seems to be a problem when I do want to load extra apps.
    One day I will update the phone (any spare money?) %^)
    Stuart.