Can I Replace Windows 8 On My New Computer?

Tuesday, November 26th, 2013 by | Filed Under: Windows 8

Bill writes:

You guys keep talking about Windows 8 and I have a question.  If I purchase a new computer, it will have Windows 8 installed. I do not want any part of Windows 8. Can I install my copy of Windows 7 in that new computer? Thanks in advance.

Bill, you could make sure to buy a computer with Windows 8.1 Pro installed. You would then be able to downgrade to Windows 7 Pro if needed and  upgrade back to Windows 8 later. You could also have a computer custom-built with Windows 7 as the operating system. Or you could choose to remove Windows 8.1 completely from your new computer (along with everything else on the drive) and install a new copy of Windows 7. You probably won’t be able to use the a copy of Windows 7 that you have already installed on a previous computer.  So basically, you’ll end up paying twice for an operating system.

How about giving Windows 8.1 a try? It is a pretty good operating system. It just looks a little different than what you are used to, but it has some fantastic features.

Tags: , , , ,

7 Responses to “Can I Replace Windows 8 On My New Computer?”

1. Steve says:

Moving from xp/vista/7 to windows 8 is not so easy for many people. Microsoft said they were going to bring back the start button with 8.1, they lied. It may have a start button, but none of the menu that everyone wants. Installing one of the many apps, will make it easy enough for most everyone. Some are free, some a few bucks. I found classic shell to work great, and all my friends/family love it too.

2. Steve says:

I forgot to mention, if you have only driven a automatic car all your life, then one day you jump into a straight drive, how do think you would do?
    It would be rough, lots of jerks, stalls, taking forever to go the shortest distance! After lots of practice, and weeks later, you will start getting use to it. You will probably be late to work, miss a few meetings till you get use to it. Sounds just like switching to windows 8!

3. Maurice Lampl says:

I have a gripe about windows 8 feature. If I want to get to the search function and I move to the right edge of the windows on Start screen and hit my cursor arrow on the right edge of the screen to bring out the sidebar, it just won’t respond immediately and I’d have to keep bouncing my cursor there until it finally pops out…. Just not responsive enough!!!

• cynthia says:

Maurice – If you’re on the Metro screen, you can just start typing and the search charm will appear.

4. Anton says:

Windows 8 isn’t as good as people think When I tried win 8 all I did was type this type that & then I can use the touchscreen features Windows 8 was supposed to free up time .But it has the opposite effect. Also when you require something eg; app’s it’s a bother & sometimes confusing So all up Windows 8 is at least in my opinion the next Vista Windows 7 is way better to use than windows 8 or the next generation 8.1 what’s next 8.2.0?

5. sjmingus says:

I didn’t think I would like windows 8 but now I love it. Lots better than windows 7. Thanks.

6. InHomeComputerHelp.com says:

I NEVER recommend down grading an operating system to any of my computer clients here in Honolulu Hawaii. When you downgrade an operating system you’re also downgrading security features as well. You’re better of installing one f the free programs I use for my clients to give Windows 8 a Windows 7 or even xp look.