Can’t Connect To Proxy Server

Wednesday, June 11th, 2014 by | Filed Under: Android, Using The Internet

Barbara says,

I can’t get a connection to the web with my tablet. I’m able to read my emails but the pictures don’t show. I have no proxy server to get me to the web sites. I was using Chrome, but yesterday it showed me a sorry faced picture, stating the address may have changed. I tried using the browser from my Kaspersky security, but the browser isn’t even there anymore, and the browsers that came with the tablet also tell me there is no proxy server. Before all this took place, Kaspersky disappeared altogether, and I was able to download it from Amazon Apps, and reactivate it with the license key. What can I do to resolve the problem?

Hi Barbara,

It sounds as if something, possibly Kaspersky, has changed your tablet’s Internet settings. My first suggestion would be to go to your settings, click on WiFi, then long press on your connected network. Click on Modify, and then advanced settings, and make sure your proxy is set to none. Then try to connect to a website again.

If that did not work, you will need to reset your current WiFi network connection. To do this, once again go to Settings, WiFi, tap on the network you are connected to, and tap forget. (Make sure you know your security password if you do this!) Then, click on that network again and log back in.

If neither of these work, your best bet might be to do a factory reset on the tablet. Keep in mind this will erase everything on your tablet and reset it back to the day you received it, so if you have a lot on the tablet, it’s not the most highly recommended method.

- Audra

Tags: , , ,

7 Responses to “Can’t Connect To Proxy Server”

1. malena montero says:

This is first outside comment I have heard of this problem from someone else.
    My hispeed connection is through my phone company and they have sent a
    repairman out to check on the connection and he finds nothing amiss in my router setup.
    About two weeks ago I was on internet with my XP computer early in morning, then about 10:00 AM I began getting this notice: “UNABLE TO CONNECT TO
    THE PROXY SERVER” Also my local computer shop told me they got same complaint from dozens of their customers on same day at same time.
    My new computer with Win 7 is unaffected but the computer I use for my graphics will not connect to internet with IE, Firefox nor Chrome.
    I believe this is being done by Microsoft !

• audra says:

Malena,

I would recommend running a virus and malware scan on the XP computer. Malware will sometimes get onto your computer and change your settings to a proxy to attempt to gather more information about your browsing habits. After running the scan, if you did find some malware and it cleaned it up, you still would need to change your browser settings not to use a proxy server. In IE, you would need to go to Tools, the Internet Options, connections tab, then LAN settings. Make sure the Use a proxy server for your LAN is unchecked. Directions would be similar for the other browsers.

2. Barbara Pickett says:

I have this problem sometimes…I go to settings, Wi-Fi, find my server, click on it, and that connects me. Hope this helps.

3. Anita says:

I had this problem trying to connect to a hotel internet connection. I went to the connection and it said I was connected, however, when I opened the browser I got an “internet not available” What is that all about? The hotel couldn’t help me so I had to use their computer to check my emails.

4. Gordon says:

I have internet through the phone company too. Recently I had a similar problem. I was loosing my internet connection. My computer is directly connected with ethernet cable. I restarted the computer and it worked again for about 40 minutes and happened again.The browser would freeze. I kept having this trouble for a number of hours. I have a cloned hard drive so I switched to it. everything was good again so I switched back to the original hard drive to see if there was a virus. It has been fine since then. I have a voip phone and it worked all the time. I don’t know what happened.

5. herman lane says:

I lost my administration password for my netbook’s,I don’t remember when I changed the setting for it.I tried everything I could to remember using the hint, how do I retrieve my password or change it?

6. Alex Dhon says:

You can use http://www.pinproxy.com It is the best online proxy found i have listed some features of it to help you. They have no ads.(this is why i like them) Supports almost every website. Best support for youtube,faceook,myspace and much more. They are on seperate private servers.not in a shared host so youget the best performance. and the best part is youcan use what ever of the subdomain and access there proxy. example: you can access the proxy from *.domain.com replace * with whatever word you like.