Changing the Normal Template
We’re all here to find out how to make changes to the Normal template – so I think we should get right down to business.
Step 1: Locate and open your Normal template.
- File menu, Open choice.
- In the “Files of type” list choose document templates. (Located at the bottom of the window)
- Use the “Look in” drop down menu at the top to navigate to the MS Office folder. (If you do not see the MS Office folder on the C: drive then look inside the Programs Files folder.)
- Open the template folder.
- Open the Normal template.
Step 2: Make changes to the template you just opened.
- Change anything at all, even if there is no default button to save the change (you’ll do that in step 3). Keep in mind these changes will affect all blank documents you open so be sure they are things that will be helpful.
- For example, tabs by default are set at 0.5-inch intervals; you may prefer something different. Go to format, tabs and make the change you desire in the upper right-hand corner.
- Another example would be the settings for paragraphs, or line spacing, or whatever it is that you find yourself constantly changing when you begin a new document. You know, the things you wish would just stay changed.
Step 3: Save the normal template by simply using File menu, Save choice. (Ctrl + S works too!)
Step 4: Close the template.
Congratulations! You’re done. New documents should be completely tailored to your needs.