Close Background iPad Programs

Monday, March 19th, 2012 by | Filed Under: iOS

Guess who loves their new iPad? Also, guess who started poking around and saw a significant decrease in performance in his new iPad mere hours after booting it up?

Yeah – that’s me. See, by default the iPad will keep apps open in the background – and while this is a boon to productivity ( or bane, depending on how you look at it ), eventually stuff starts getting a little… laggy.

So, here’s how you close some of those apps running in the background.

Simply click the home button twice to bring up the program bar.

Once it pops up, press and hold your finger on an app until the icons start to wiggle. Now click the red minus sign next to each program you want to close.

It’s that easy!

I’m off to further damage my new toy! See you later!

~Andrew

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to “Close Background iPad Programs”

1. mercy says:

love it and please share any ipad info with me as i recently got the new toy also, thank you soooo much

2. Cathy says:

This a great tip, but you also have to close the apps on the iphone 4 and 4Gs ( I don’t know about the 3 & 3GS) the same way as well.

3. Greypaw says:

Great tip. This also works on the iPhone, now my battery doesn’t run down so fast. I never realized that these apps were still working in the background. Thanks.

4. Joyce Callahan says:

Thank you Andrewshow me what she had done as I have a new iPhone & took it back to Verizon as not working right, getting slow. The young girl took phone & did a couple of things & handed back to me. Didn’t show me what she did. Now you have shown me. As always your website helps me the most!! Thank you

5. Dave Johnson says:

I liked the tip, however, you should have said what to do to get the app back once you close it. I tried and the app disappeared and I couldn’t find a way to reverse it.
    When I shut the iPad off and turned it back on, the app returned. If it had been an app I paid for and used a lot, I would have been really worried.
    Continue doing the great job you guys do.

Dave

6. andrew says:

If you do this to an app on the home screen of your iPad, yes, you will uninstall the app, but if you followed my instructions and close the app from within the program bar, it will just shut down that instance of the app.

7. betty says:

great info.. thanks

8. bob carl says:

good stuff -
    how do you populate your contacts in a list and to click as many e-mail recipients as you want and when done how do you put them in the To: space?
    without having to do each one separately?