looking for freeware

Computer Sending E-mail Spam to my Address Book – How Do I Fix It?

Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012 by | Filed Under: E-Mail Help, Security Help

Polly from PA writes:

How does my computer send out e-mails to several names on my address list, saying it’s from me, when I am not on the computer or not even at home? It’s always just a link to something – don’t know what it is, because I’ve never clicked on the link. Is this a virus? What can I do to stop it from happening again?

Uh oh, Polly! It sounds to me like you have a Virus on your computer. Many viruses use this kind of technique because people are far more likely to open up e-mail from people they know. The links that are being sent out sometimes are as innocent as advertisements for products, but often are intended to infect other computers with the same virus.

I would recommend using an antivirus program, such as Panda Cloud antivirus, to clean your system. Panda can be downloaded at http://download.cloudantivirus.com/, and you should run it and do a full system scan. I would recommend after running it also running TrendMicro Housecall (It’s always good to run two different scans, as no antivirus is 100% effective) available at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

spam mail and virus logo

~Tim

Tags: , , , , ,

6 Responses to “Computer Sending E-mail Spam to my Address Book – How Do I Fix It?”

1. Daniel L McCray says:

For years you have said NOT to run two anti-virus systems on our computors as they may see each other as a threat, and today you recommend to this person to run two different scans. What’s up with that?

• C Hood says:

Some antivirus scanners are an (on demand) type of service which means that they do not run all the time. So you do essentially have multiple antivirus programs installed on your computer but they are not necessarily active at the same time. I would also recommend if you are having a problem you can use Spybot search and destroy or Malware bytes. (http://www.malwarebytes.org/)You should always run a computer protection software I.E. Microsoft security essentials, Norton 360, McAfee or one of the many computer security/antivirus programs. Going with no protection is a bad Idea. There are many free options out there like Microsoft security essentials so there is no reason why you should not have it.

2. Joan Overeem says:

I have not had that problem, but very pleased to learn what to do if I am ever unfortunate enough to get that virus. Thanks!

3. Joan Overeem says:

I don’t know what is wrong with my comment!

4. Judy says:

I have received this from several people over the past several months. It seems if they just change their password, it stops.

Just a suggestion.

5. Johnny Wright says:

I used the gurus at the Worldstart Forum & all their tricks & still have the virus embedded in my Yahoo account. It’s not in my Netscape or Gmail accounts though?? It’s been almost a year since it began & it monly sends one email to each person. A new person emails me, they get one. The forum told me to quit using Yahoo, every thing they tried didn’t work.I was told it was embedded in my registry??