Create Your Own E-mail Address
Today I’m going to teach you how to tweak one of the most commonly used things on computers today and that would be e-mail! When you think of an e-mail address, you typically think of something like email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org (or any other popular e-mail service). But, how would you like one that looked something like email@example.com? Wouldn’t it be cool to have a custom made e-mail address like that? Imagine the possibilities. You could create an e-mail for your small business, your groups, your personal Web site or even one for your family. And best of all, its 100 percent free!
Before we proceed, you will need to have a cell phone with text messaging capabilities to finish the registration process. At this time, there is not another way to register without a mobile phone. This is all done through AOL and they promise that they will not sell your cell phone number to any telemarketers. You can verify that on the site. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. Okay, let’s get started!
1. First, surf to the AOL My eAddress site and click on “Create My eAddress Now.”
2. In the first box you see, type in the domain you want your e-mail to be. The domain is the part after the @ sign in an e-mail address. After that, from the pull down box, select if you want the last part of your e-mail to be .com or .net. Then select Search.
3. If the domain name you chose is being used by someone else, you’ll see a screen that has some other possibilities for a domain. Either select one of those possibilities or type in a new name. Then click Continue. If your domain isn’t taken, you’ll see a screen like this:
4. On this page, enter some common information, such as a username, a password, your name, your cell phone number and so on. When you’re finished, hit Submit.
5. A text message will be sent to your phone with a code number. Enter the code on the following page.
6. Next, you’ll see a page asking you if you want to add more people to your domain, such as other family members or friends. Just follow the directions and click Invite if you want to do so.
Now, to talk a little bit about the features of My eAddress. My eAddress allows you to have 2 GB of e-mail space absolutely free! Also, you can use your e-mail to instant message on the AIM program. You can also hook your new e-mail up to Mozilla Thunderbird or Outlook Express. Isn’t e-mail a great way to show your individuality?!
~ Neil Patel