Dinner Unplugged – Make The Table An Electronics-Free Zone

Saturday, February 2nd, 2013 by | Filed Under: Smartphones, Social Networking

Tired of people sitting around the table paying attention to their electronic devices instead of family and friends?  Or maybe you have a friend who is more interested in putting pictures of what he’s eating on Facebook than actually eating the food. Here’s a quick solution. Declare the table an electronics-free zone!

No phones, no computers, no gaming systems, no Kindles.  In fact, let’s stack them all up in plain sight so we can all keep an eye on them. The picture below is from a Saturday night dinner at my house.

Twelve-year-olds do not give up their phones without a fight, but it can be done.  Dinner entertainment will consist of talking to each other face-to-face.  You can Tweet your sister about the salad, finish your book or make your move in Words With Friends later.

If you’re out with friends, try this method to wean the social-media addicts from their phones: stack the phones in the middle of the table and the first one to pick up his or her device, picks up the check for everybody.

Enjoy your dinner!

-Cynthia

Tags: , , , , , ,

9 Responses to “Dinner Unplugged – Make The Table An Electronics-Free Zone”

1. Agnes Peace says:

SUPER, SUPER TIP !!!

2. Becky Chapman says:

Excellent tip! We have become a slave to electronics.

3. Nicholas Maselli says:

Excellent! This was the time of family interaction in my family as a child, and in my own family circle. Families need a down time from individual activities, and engage in family social activities. Family meals, or at least the evening meal is perfect for this.

4. kathy k says:

excellent!

5. Annie-m says:

Absolutely Brilliant – children have an excuse but I hate it when the adults do it – they might think twice if it costs them money!

6. Ma says:

It’s a little late for me — my family is all out of state. But I thought I’d share this with you. Pre-electronics, dinner hour was accompanied by classical music; the kids called it “culture hour”. They hated it then, but learned to love Beethoven, Bach, and Mozart :)

7. Stuart says:

Excellent idea. At home or in public settings; especially if you invite someone for a MEAL not an electronics timeout that happens to be during a meal, any meal.

8. Terry says:

Hi guys, I have to say that normally, I scan through the tips that you email me, with some mixed feelings. I find every thing here very American market oriented (Of course) but this tip it just hits the spot here in Europe(Spain to be precise) as well. I will have to try this suggestion out at the next dinner date . Please wish me well as it maybe the last thing I ever do.

9. Stella says:

It reminded me of one day that my husband and I were eating out. We were sitting at a table next to a couple with a little boy of about 5. After several minutes I realized no one was speaking but the little boy who was making comments and asking questions but no one was answering him. Curious, I looked over and saw the reason no one was answering him – both the adults (his parents?) were busy texting. So, though were out together, they were alone together. How sad! Especially for the child!