looking for freeware

Do Not Call Doesn’t Work

Sunday, March 6th, 2016 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips, Security Help

Sheila commented on our post about a Microsoft phone scam. “Being on the do not call registry stops nothing. I used to take the time to report phone scams(usually after I answered and yelled)amd also sent spam email addresses to the government, which seems not to care or is unable to stop the malicious activity. Now I don’t answer the phone if I don’t recognize the number and just delete the spam without opening it. The amount of calls and spam have diminished.”

angry-phone-crop

The problem with the Do Not Call Registry is that is only works for legitimate businesses who want to obey the law and not irritate potential customers.  Note that it does not apply to charities or political calls. (Politicians aren’t going to limit their ability to raise money.)

The majority of these scam calls originate from outside of the U.S. Our law enforcement has no power over these people. If a call is coming from India, Russia or Nigeria, there’s nothing the government here can do about it.

A lot of spam originate overseas as well, putting it off-limits for our government. You’re smart to avoid interacting with these scammers, but I would keep reporting them. Also, make sure you mark that spam e-mail as spam. That teaches your e-mail provider what to filter out.

Tags: , , , , ,

7 Responses to “Do Not Call Doesn’t Work”

1. Bob Price says:

Do not call registry does not work and never has. It’s a feel good thing that does nothing. Best to use nomorobo.com/. It mostly works but not 100%

2. rodzilla says:

Another thing to do with spam emails, although it doesn’t work with scams, is to see if it has an unsubscribe function. About a month ago, I started unsubscribing to every email that it was possible to, that I found in my junk folder. Within a few days, the amount of junk mail I was getting reduce, and, now, I hardly get any.
    While most email programs automatically empty the junk mail folder every few weeks, it is annoying to see them ad up. There is a lot of satisfaction in not getting them.

3. John B says:

The Do-Not-Call list would work if the Government put a large amount of pressure on the phone companies to allow their customers to block all robo calls.

4. Genie F says:

Scam calls & political calls have NOTHING to do with the Do Not Call registry. It is aimed at TELEMARKETERS only. I haven’t received a telemarketing call at all since I signed up for the registry…I’d say it works pretty well.

5. Andy Anderson says:

This is a very good article and advice, but as you said, if it is originating overseas there is nothing our government can do about it for lack of jurisdiction.

6. TOBY K says:

The do not call list only works on regular dialed calls, when the computer is dialing numbers in sequence i.e. 555-0001, 0002, 0003 = you cannot block them, until now with the nomorobo.com. When a call comes in now, it rings 1 time, I can see the number on my TV screen but nothing shows up on my phone! I LOVE IT. I also have a phone that I can block other numbers that I do not want to receive calls from, so my phone does not ring as much as it used to and I don’t have to cringe when my phone rings as much as I used to.