Don’t Accidentally Schedule Win 10 Update

Saturday, May 28th, 2016 by | Filed Under: Windows 10

A number of people have accidentally scheduled a Windows 10 update due to some tricky wording in the Microsoft nag pop-up that wants you to update.

Now, I’m all in favor of updating to Windows 10. I like the operating system quite a lot. But if you aren’t ready to upgrade yet, here’s how to avoid accidentally scheduling an upgrade.

This is what the pop-up looks like.

upgrade-window

Looking at it, you might think your only choice is to schedule an immediate update, one at midnight or select a time for an update.

upgrade-window-options

The problem is, that clicking any of those buttons is going to put you on the road to an upgrade. So be very careful not to click on ANY of them.  Clicking that button to the left could start you upgrading instantly.

What you actually need to click is the familiar little box at the top.  Yep, you need to just click that little x to close the Window. That way you can completely ignore it.

upgrade-window-options-close

Don’t click anywhere else. Just shut it down. Now, if you’re ready to upgrade, you can pick the midnight upgrade time or choose schedule and pick a time that works for you. For the upgrade, you will want to have your device plugged in and also have a steady wireless connection. The upgrade may take more than an hour, so pick a time when you won’t need your PC.

Windows 10 shouldn’t affect your files or programs, but you’ll want to make sure you back up your important files just in case before you get started.

Tags: , , ,

7 Responses to “Don’t Accidentally Schedule Win 10 Update”

1. Bob Price says:

From what I’ve read, clicking the X will actually begin the installation of Win10. You should click ‘choose time’ and inside that menu is an option to cancel the upgrade.

2. Jack says:

I had Win 10 installed on my computer–question–now I need to do this myself–steps please.

• Jadesqr says:

Hey Jack, Say what??? This space is for ‘On Topic Responses’ to the original thread. I think this is a different ‘Question’, submit it through ‘Support’ at top of the page.

3. Jadesqr says:

Hey Cynthia, Wow! have you ever seen so much resistance to probably the best OS, MS has ever produced? I’m not saying WX doesn’t benefit MS greatly, its that the users need to quit resisting change and just ‘persevere’, the next thing will probably be labeling WX as ‘MALWARE’.

4. Orv Potts says:

A few weeks ago,I did what you suggested about closing the W-10 upgrade. When I retired for the evening, I had W-7 on my desktop. The next morning I found to my surprise that I now had Windows 10.

To be fair, I decided to try it out. I’m pretty much satisfied with the OS, but I really resent the fact that MS “updated” without my permission.

• Chris says:

They automatically installed Win 10 on me too…..and I did not even “reserve” it! Since I didn’t want to mess anything up as far as what to do next, I contacted Geek Squad at Best Buy (with whom I have a membership)and they walked me through the next steps.

5. lyn says:

Everytime my computer asked if I was ready to update I said NO NO NO I leave my computer on at night and I came in one morning and win 10 had been downloaded while I was gone. It was a mess. All I had was a black screen and no curser. No one could fix it. I bought a new computer and the same think happened. Just came in one morning and it was on my computer WITHOUT my permission. This time it sees to be working OK so far. BUT I AM STILL MAD AND IT COST ME MONEY