- Worldstart's Tech Tips Newsletter - http://www.worldstart.com -
Download: Dawn Address Book Converter
Posted By On November 3, 2005 @ 3:35 PM In E-Mail Help,Free Downloads | Comments Disabled
Download of the Week: Dawn Address Book Converter
We get a lot of emails around here concerning every possible aspect of email. This is understandable, since everyone uses it, including folks who aren’t exactly the biggest Nerds at the SciFi Convention, if you know what I mean. Email has become a staple in our modern everyday lifestyle.
Two of the commonest questions are how to save the address book and how to import the address book into a different program. Just type Address Book into the Tip Search Box to see all of the little tricks we’ve found that work only with certain systems and programs. It can be difficult (or impossible) to import a foreign address book simply due to the different formats that they use. Many people are starting to use alternative address books, and some just want to get their friends’ names out of their Outlook Express address book to limit the damage if their own PC gets infected.
If you have been thinking of backing up or exporting your address book, today’s download might be just the thing. Dawn converts the exported format of one address into another format used by a different address book program in a matter of a seconds via a couple of easy-to-follow steps. The program inherently works between a spectrum of different email clients on your behalf either using a Conversion Wizard or manually with the Dawn Classic Interface. This means that Dawn can export your address book from one application and import it into another application from its own interface. You don’t have to open either email program.
There are a lot of different address books out there, and Dawn can work with the best of them. If you use an address book that isn’t explicitly listed, there is still a good possibility that you can use your address book’s internal Import/Export feature to save the address book to a file. Dawn is compatible with a lot of popular address book formats including CVS, LDAP, and LDIF, which should allow most end users to export, convert, and import their address book data.
Here’s a Complete List of Compatible Programs:
· Internet Explorer / Outlook Express / Windows Address Book (WAB) 4.0 – 6.0
(Known to work with versions 4.0, 5.0, 5.5, and 6.0)
· Mozilla Thunderbird (Known to work with version 1.0.2)
· Eudora (Known to work with versions 3.0, 4.3, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 6.0, 6.2)
· MS Outlook 98 / 2000 / 2002 / 2003
· Netscape 3.0 – 7.1 (Known to work with versions 3.0, 3.03, 4.0, 4.7, 4.78, 6.0, 6.01, 6.1, 6.2, 6.21, 7.0, 7.1) (Netscape 8 does not have an address book)
· Juno 2.0 – 5.0 (Known to work with versions 2.0.11, 4.3.09, 4.3.11, and 5.0.33)
· Pegasus Mail (Known to work with version 3.12b, 4.01, 4.12a, 4.21c)
· Becky! (Known to work with versions 2.00.08, 2.21.03)
· Corel WordPerfect Address Book 8.x
· Exec Mail / Simeon
· Mozilla (Seamonkey)(Known to work with versions 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9.2, 0.9.3, 0.9.7, 1.0, 1.2, 1.3, 1.6, 1.7)
· Palm support through Palm Desktop (read only) (Known to work with versions 3.01, 4.0, 4.1)
· Pine (PC and UNIX) (Mailing Lists not supported)
· Other programs which can use/import/export LDAP/LDIF, vCard (VCF), Comma Separated Value (CSV), plain text, one per line or comma separated formats or store addresses in a text file suitable for extraction
In addition to converting your contacts, you can edit their properties singly or as a group. If you have to perform the manual conversion, you can save your customized settings. That way, Dawn will know what to do the next time you need to perform the procedure. If you find yourself doing this from time to time, then you may like Dawn’s automated conversion that can simplify the process even more.
The program is small and takes very little time to download. There is a Help file that really does walk you through everything you need to know about the program. I highly suggest reading it. There is also a Read Me file in the downloaded, an unzipped folder full of FAQ’s that should help you over any speed bumps. Hope you enjoy the program.
** WorldStart is not the developer of this software and cannot offer technical support. We have no control over pages we link to.
Article printed from Worldstart's Tech Tips Newsletter: http://www.worldstart.com
URL to article: http://www.worldstart.com/download-dawn-address-book-converter/