Weekly Download: EPrompter
Anyone with more than one email address will find today’s Download of the week to be very useful, which includes just about everybody I know.
ePrompter is by specific terms an “Email Retrieval and Notification Program”. Think of it as an email “Aggregator”, like a news aggregator or an RSS feed. Both of these programs will go to designated URL’s and “Get” or “Harvest” whatever information the aggregator was configured to find. Each aggregator presents the data to you in its own way.
ePrompter works on the same basic concept with Email Clients programs such as Outlook Express (OE) or Thunderbird. It goes the Email server, authenticates (with the proper username and password that you have configured) with the server, downloads your mail, and presents it to you in the interface of your email client (i.e. OE or Thunderbird).
Why do I believe that you guys are going to find this useful? I can say it in one word: Functionality. ePrompter does a good job on what a lot of programs fall short on. ePrompter can retrieve email from web-based email accounts and POP3 accounts. I believe Han Solo said it best when he said, “She may not look like much, but she’s got it where it counts.” You won’t be “blown away” by ePrompter’s graphical interface, but you’ll love what’s under the hood. ePrompter primarily you to completely manage all your email accounts through its own interface without opening your browser.
The ease of use and the sheer functionality of ePrompter will amaze even the toughest critics. Anyone- regardless of experience- can set this up to retrieve all your email (up to 16 accounts) in just minutes. ePrompter can be set to notify you of new email in a number of different ways. It has a rotating tray icon and even a screen saver that all show you your current email’s status. Setting up a new email account is a 1, 2, 3, process with a Wizard that walks you through it all. There are also little Help icons that you can select on any step along the way that describe that step of the process in detail.
ePrompter is a lightweight program that uses limited system resources, which it somehow achieved without cost to functionality. This becomes apparent once you notice all the features that this wonderful program embodies:
· Read and delete email without opening your email client
· Unique Rotating Tray Icon shows # of new messages in each account.
· Choice of five screensavers that show # of new messages per account.
· Autodial goes online and retrieves messages at scheduled intervals.
· Choice of two audio alerts for new messages.
· Optional password protection for individual accounts.
· Message headers or full messages available online or offline.
· Delete messages while online or in autodial mode.
· Separate retrieval intervals for online and autodial modes.
· The ability to print messages.
· The ability to read hyperlinks.
· The ability to work with standard firewalls and proxy servers.
· The ability to retain retrieved messages when a computer is turned off.
· Lean installation – Minimal computer requirements.
· Easy download, setup and uninstall.
· No personal information required.
ePrompter’s requirements are as follows:
· Microsoft Windows 95, 98, ME, XP, NT, or 2000.
· AOL autodial requires AOL 5.0, 6.0, 7.0, 8.0 or 9.0.
If you find that you need any help running the program or maybe just want a little more information about ePrompter, give their forum a try. The forum is teeming with activity, and I’m sure someone out there will help you find the answer you’re looking for.
Hope you enjoy ePrompter.