This week’s download has got to be one of the most impressive and useful programs I think I will offer all year. Picasa is a photo editing, sharing, slideshow program but it’s so much more—it’s part of the rising Google empire that continues to do things right.
Picasa is, in my opinion, more of a complete image manager, though it has some image editing tools there is nothing ground breaking in this area and I wouldn’t be so excited about the program if that’s all it did.
Instead the program is unique in what it does, or should I say what it allows you to do. The program gives you complete control over images on your PC, with a dizzying list of tools at your fingertips. For sharing, and saving images I would match it up against any program out there, you can post images to the web or create Gift CD/DVD’s, slideshows, collages, and more. It May be better if I just listed some of the features and let the program speak for itself. Your curiosity will grab you eventually will take over and you will find yourself at Picasa.com before you know it.
* Create Labels which are basically “Playlists” of images (does not move the actual image)
* Allows you to rate your images using stars which helps you to quickly find your favorite pictures
* Password protect image collections
* Email images easily: Picasa automatically resizes and attaches pictures to email messages.
* With Hello, you can instant chat while viewing/sharing images with others online
* Easily transfer images to you Blog or website and add text
* Create awesome slide shows
* Take you images with you—they will easily play on any PC thanks to Picasa’s practice of including a small exe of their program if you choose.
PRINTS and PRODUCTS
* Picasa automatically resizes your photos to fit perfectly on whatever size paper you are using.
* Export pictures to popular photo processing websites
* Burn directly to CD/DVD, and Picasa will show you what images have and havn’t been backed up yet to insure that all your photos are archived.
* Burn “Gift” CDs with slide shows
* Can backup across a network
* Can create posters up to 1000% of their actual size, by tilling several prints that you later piece together as one.
* Can view pictures on TV with TiVo
* Turn your photos into a movie
* Make personalized Screen Saver
* Make picture collages
…and this isn’t even everything it can do.
Last year I had told you all about Hello, which is one of the greatest programs for sharing photos online. My parents and I use it all the time to synchronize our family albums. Well anyway, Hello is a plug-in for Picasa and is an important component of its online sharing functionality. It also is a free download and I highly recommend you get it— more informaton and the program download is in our article from last year.
You’re gonna be set up for all the pictures you are bound to take this summer, so go out and get yourself Picasa and Hello and start having some fun.
Review of Hello