Have you ever been surfing the web and had a sudden urge to send an e-mail to someone? Maybe you just stumbled upon a really cool page or some awesome information that you just gotta share.
Whatever the reason, wouldn’t it be cool if you could compose an e-mail without launching Outlook Express, fiddling around in the address book, then finally starting the message?
Well, where there’s a geek, there’s a way!
Why not put the people you frequently send e-mail to on your Favorites/Bookmarks? That way, if you see something you need to tell them about while surfin’, you can click their name in the Favorites/Bookmarks. Outlook Express will start a new message already addressed to them and all you need to do is put in a subject and a message. I know you’re saying, “Whoa, Steve, you’re getting crazy… an E-mail address as a Favorite?!?”
Well, check this out:
Web browsers aren’t really designed for this trick, so you’ll need to add e-mail addresses in a round about way:
Here’s what to do with Internet Explorer (Firefox instructions are below):
1. Hit the Favorites menu, Add to Favorites. Don’t worry about the address, we just need to create a new favorite.
2. Now, name the favorite with the person’s name. If you were going to add my address, you would type “Steve” in the description box.
3. Hit OK. Now, we need to adjust that “Steve” favorite so it points to my e-mail address and not to whatever page it’s currently assigned. So, hit your Favorites menu, and right-click the “Steve” favorite, then select Properties from the resulting menu.
4. A nifty little screen will pop-up. Where it says “URL,” delete everything in that box and change it to: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
Hit OK and you’re finished. Follow the same procedure for any address you want to add, just replace the “email@example.com” part after the “mailto:” with the proper address.
Now, for Firefox users you can also do this trick:
1. Hit Ctrl+D to bookmark the current page. Don’t worry about the address, we just need to create a new bookmark.
2. Now, name the favorite with the person’s name. If you were going to add my address, you would type “Steve” in the name box. You may want to create a new folder for email addresses—click the arrow next to the “Create in” box then the “New folder” button.
Give the folder a name like “Email” and click OK. Select that folder and click OK.
3. Go to Bookmarks/Manage Bookmarks and find the Email folder. Click the + next to it and you’ll see the bookmark you created. Right click and choose “Properties”.
4. A nifty little screen will pop-up. Where it says “Location,” delete everything in that box and change it to: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
If you want you can add a description.
Hit OK and you’re finished. Follow the same procedure for any address you want to add, just put the proper address where “email@example.com” is after the “mailto:”