End Of XP: What Do I Do?

Sunday, March 23rd, 2014 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips

Alisa writes:

I checked on upgrading to Windows 7 (will never to 8 and Microsoft can kiss off), and found out my graphics card and Intel chip(which I would have to pay to upgrade , which sorry not doing ever) are not compatible with 7, so how does one upgrade with the price of it (being over a 100? And please do not suggest buying new. I cannot afford a new laptop (not ever buying Chromebook either), I have seen laptops with 7 over 400 and as I said, not ever going to 8 (my games and programs are not compatible to 8.)

I’m not sure what your price limit is in this situation, but you might consider a refurbished Windows 7 laptop. But that’s still likely to cost you $200 to $300. Another option is to replace XP with a free Linux system like Ubuntu or run Ubuntu in a a dual boot situation keeping XP off-line. You could also choose to take your XP computer offline and perhaps use a tablet or phone for Internet and e-mail. But the one thing you shouldn’t do is nothing. When Microsoft ends XP security support on April 8, 2014 – XP computers will be vulnerable to attack if they remain online.

Tags: , ,

7 Responses to “End Of XP: What Do I Do?”

1. Nury says:

You should start begging or take a loan from bank to buy a new one. Or buy a second hand which is comparitable with 7 or 8.

Xp is dump and lazy….Let the things go on…. And you explain your problem to Bill Gates, he might offer you a free one.

2. lyb says:

I bought a great used Toshiba with 4g and 750gb and it was $289.with win 7 and I am very happy.

3. tara says:

Just put it on a credit card and pay it off a little at a time. That’s what I’m going to do next week. Simple and easy

4. claw says:

I don’t have a credit card or money and banks won’t give me a loan. Need a computer as I have my medical charts on there. Only way to stay in touch with grandkids.

5. Havey says:

Use the dual boot system with FREE “LINUX-MINT-15″.
    Very simple Unix system to learn for e_mail and office
    apps.

6. Terri Bradley says:

When you offer software in your newsletters could you please tell us if it is compatable with Linux. I would think many will now be using this OS seeing as XP is no longer being supported.

7. calinmusceleanu says:

Are you absolutely sure that your hardware is not compatible with 7? As far as I know, you could search and download free device drivers specially designed for Windows 7. I could use some details about those pieces of hardware that cause you troubles, maybe I could give you some hints.