Enough With The XP Drama

Sunday, January 19th, 2014 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips

Suz writes:

I’m getting tired of all the drama about giving up XP because it won’t be safe. I haven’t downloaded a Windows update since the late 90′s and I stopped using anti-virus software about 8 years ago. I do periodic checks of my own and I do a format every two years or so “just because” and I have never had a virus or any other malware. Maybe I’ll upgrade someday when there’s something I actually consider to be an “upgrade”.

If I were you, I’d get a couple of lotto tickets. It seems you have some crazy good luck. It’s as if you hadn’t locked your door since the late 90s, yet no one has ever tried the knob and slipped in to walk off with your TV.

If you don’t have any anti-virus software, I’m not sure how you can be sure that you don’t have any viruses or malware. They aren’t always readily apparent and even if you aren’t seeing any affects, you could be passing them on to others.

But it’s your computer and your choice. It’s a little like ignoring recall notices from your car dealer. My husband used to do that. Until the rear axle literally fell off the car.

Tags: , ,

10 Responses to “Enough With The XP Drama”

1. Edgar Smit says:

The most sensible reply I have read re: The end of XP.

2. Clive Copland says:

Someone’s playing with fire !

3. Essie Fechter says:

Cynthia was very polite in her reply.
    Wonder why he even bother to read your tips?
    She should have said it more plainly: “That’s the most stupid statement we’ve ever received.”

4. MarkJ says:

Nice reply Cynthia, nice reply.

5. K.Vee.Shanker says:

Hi Cynthia,

I join the appreciation. I sometimes, envy the people who handle even verbal attacks tactfully, and creatively knock down the vicious types!

• K.Vee.Shanker. says:

After thought,

I did not mean Suz to be a vicious type. Her expression is acceptable though not agreeable!

6. Royz2 says:

I mean no disrespect, but with today’s technical expertise, there is NO one that does not have some kind of malware! As stated previously, it may not be apparent. There is malware, not evident to you, most likely presently sending your most private information to some crooked agent or person somewhere ! Either I am living in the past or there is a genie who protects someone! For your safety, someone should check your computer, either you or a professional. You will be surprised at what will be found!
    Your statement is like jumping into a pool of mud and coming out clean as a whistle!
    Please don’t take this as anything other than a friendly advice. Good luck.

7. suz says:

I’m replying on Royz2′s reply, but only because I don’t want to reply separately to each one. This is not meant to be confrontational. I’m just replying to the above comments.

I’ve been building my own computers for nearly 20 years and I know my computer inside and out and I know where to check for virus intrusions and I know where to look after I don’t find anything on the first pass. And after that, I do a simple check, just to see what’s new on my computer in the last 24 hours. Every so often, I go to the virus checking websites, just to see if they come up with anything. They don’t. I realize that not everyone is capable of doing that. It seems that “user-friendly” means “hide everything” and most people don’t know where to look to check these things out on their own. That doesn’t mean I’m “playing with fire”. It means I’m in control of what’s going on in my computer. Do you know what’s happening in yours? Just because a high percentage of people need others to guide them and suggest things like getting rid of XP, it doesn’t mean everyone is in need of that level of help. For all you know, I could be even better at computer related issues than Steve or Cynthia, or whoever. I just don’t happen to have a newsletter. I could even be a person who writes malicious code. I’m not, but my point is that you shouldn’t make assumptions, just because someone doesn’t use anti-virus software (as in this case)or think the way you do.

Anti-virus software isn’t the only way to make sure there is no virus, worms, etc. Plus, it can come up with false positives and it misses some malware, too. I don’t use anti-virus software, but I’m in no way suggesting that anyone else go without it. I was just saying that I feel comfortable running XPPro without any support from MS and I’ll continue to do so. That’s what I’ve been doing all these years, anyway. Hence, it doesn’t affect me that MS is dropping support.

Oh, and to Essie Fechter: Your statement was quite rude, but I will tell you why I “bother” to read the WS newsletter anyway. I’ve been reading it for many years. I find things interesting and helpful in the newsletter, just like you do. The advice and tips are given. It’s my choice whether I follow them, or not.

8. Dancer says:

Well I am truly suprised you have never been introduced with bugs in your system. Although I find that really hard to believe, but be that as it may, maybe you have been simply lucky. XP support is gone but it is one of the best operating systems Microsoft has had ( or possible ever have ) extreamly stable and resoursfull.I suppose the death of this OS isd because of a financial thing not unlike all other interests. I just can seem to make it compute for a non bug inviorment of / on a system. Maybe.

• suz says:

This isn’t the death of XP. It’s simply being abandoned by MS. It will still be just as stable whether it’s supported or not. I don’t understand why you find it “really hard to believe” that I’ve never had a virus on my computer. I’m 50 years old and I worked in health care for 35 years and was exposed to the flu many times without ever getting it and I’ve never had a flu shot. It’s the same thing. Go ahead and switch to Win 7 or 8 if it makes you feel safer. I’m not letting MS tell me what I can and can’t do with my own computer and an operating system that I bought.