- Worldstart's Tech Tips And Computer Help - http://www.worldstart.com -
Posted By On November 22, 2006 @ 3:12 PM In File & Disk Management | Comments Disabled
Whenever I try to use the contents in the My Computer folder, it takes forever for the icons to come up. Is there any way I can speed that process up?
Lucky for you, there is and even better, it’s a surefire way that your icons will appear much faster! Every time you open the My Computer folder to browse through it, Windows XP automatically searches for your network files and printers. This unfortunately causes a delay in the display of your icons. You may see the “default” Windows icon and then as you continue to scroll through, it changes to the correct icon. Well, if you don’t like that, this is how you can change it.
1. Double click on your My Computer icon to open it.
2. Click on the Tools menu and select Folder Options.
3. Under Folder Options, select the View tab.
4. Uncheck the very first box that reads “Automatically search for network folders and printers.”
5. Click Apply or OK and you’re all set.
Well, there you go. From now on, you should see a dramatic increase in speed when Windows displays your icons. It doesn’t get any better than that!
~ Shantala Ramamoorthy
Article printed from Worldstart's Tech Tips And Computer Help: http://www.worldstart.com
URL to article: http://www.worldstart.com/faster-icons/
Click here to print.