We’re all unique in our browsing preferences, and have certain tastes in what we want in our browsers, and what to take away. Luckily, Firefox has included a customization tool in their browser which makes it super easy to change the layout of icons, add new functions, change the theme or “skin” of the browser and more! This guide will show you how to use this useful feature.
1. Click on the icon of the three stacked lines, which is in the top right corner. A menu will open.
2. Then, on the small menu that opens up, click on the “Customize” button which is the last option on the menu, and is accompanied by a plus sign.
3. When you click on the “Customize” button, the customization feature will open up, allowing you to drag and drop elements in your browser, and change menu bars, and themes. This is what it should look like.
4. The first change you can make to your browser is inserting extra tools and features into the menu bar which is on the left. If, for example, you want to share a page quickly, you can click on the share a page button in the menu bar.
For this demo, we’ll move the “Open File” icon to the menu bar, so you will have easy access to opening files straight from your browser.
Drag the “Open File” icon across your screen, by clicking on it and keeping it pressed while you move the icon with your other finger. Then, drop it into one of the squares that have a dotted line.
5. Another change you can make is the arrangement of icons on top, beside the search bar and menu button. Similarly to the previous step, you click on the icon you want to move, keep it pressed and drag it over to the position you want.
6. The next change you can make is the theme of your browser. The “theme” is an image background which appears where the usual blue of the browser appears, behind the tabs. There are thousands of free themes you can choose from landscapes to stars to sunsets. With the customize feature, you can easily change the theme.
Select the “Theme” button which is on the bottom of the page. There will be a variety of themes you can choose from, or click on the “Get More Themes” button for more.
7. To add the menu bar back to your browser, simply click the “Show/Hide Toolbars” button at the bottom of the page, and click on the menu bar you want to add to the browser.
8. Of course, if you don’t like the look of the changes and want to revert to the way things were before, simply click on the “Restore Defaults” button at the bottom of the page, and your browser will look as it always did.