Flash Drive: How To Format/Erase Everything

Tuesday, February 12th, 2013 by | Filed Under: File & Disk Management, Windows Explorer

Don from New Mexico writes:

How do I delete all the information off a flash drive, so that I can put new information on it?

Answer:

Formatting a flash drive will wipe all the information off of the drive. Start by inserting the flash drive into your computer. Click on Computer (Windows 7) or My Computer (Windows XP) and right click on your flash drive and click format.

In the format screen, you’ll see the capacity of the drive and various technical information. The only piece of information you should need to change is the Volume Label, which is the name that will appear next to the drive letter for your flash drive. I like to name my flash drives something short but descriptive like mp3files or workdocs. Uncheck the Quick Format box click Start to format your flash drive.

The formatting process should take a few minutes and you will see a green progress bar. Once it is complete, your flash drive will be completely wiped of all information it contained.

-Tim

Tags: , , , , ,

7 Responses to “Flash Drive: How To Format/Erase Everything”

1. bob price says:

I have read many times that you should never format a flash drive. Open explorer and simply delete everything.

2. Jill Bennett says:

Why wouldn’t you simply plug the flash drive in, right click on it and click delete? Am I doing the wrong thing doing this?

3. Steve says:

1st, let me say, formatting the drive will not remove the contents securely, but for general use its fine. 2nd, to answer Jill’s question, you can right click and delete a file,(after you open the drive) but if you have hundreds of files you want to delete, format or select all then delete are faster options.

4. Rob Librizzi says:

Excuse me if I am mistaken – but in the past hasnt Worldstart recommended to never format a flashdrive due to the constant read/writes which could end up desrtoying the drive ????

5. Thelma Thompson says:

I talked to Andrew the other day about a problem I was having with my flashdrive that I bought from you, and he said he would call me back and I’m still waiting?
    The problem I’m having is when I go to format the flashdrive it says its write protected or something like that. It won’t let me clean it off???? It is a 1 GB Dane-Elec

6. Alice Carpenter says:

I have a flashdrive that, after using for 10 months or so, is telling me now that I can’t download, edit, or delete anything on it because it is write protected. I hasn’t been that way until just this month. What happened, did I do it, how do I undo it?