Gmail Pop-Out Compose Window

Friday, February 18th, 2011 by | Filed Under: E-Mail Help

Here’s a quick one for all you Gmail users out there. Have you ever gone to compose a message in Gmail, only to find that there was some nugget of information you forgot to include? Well, when you hit the Compose Mail button, Gmail automatically navigates to the next page so you can write your message. What if that little bit of info was in your inbox? How do you see both windows at the same time?

It’s easy, and all you have to do is click a little icon to make it happen! Once you hit Compose Mail, look in the upper right-hand corner of the compose box. You’ll see this icon:

Just click it and the compose mail box will pop into its own window! Now you can browse around in your inbox or wherever else your heart desires!

Neat!

~Andrew

Tags:

8 Responses to “Gmail Pop-Out Compose Window”

1. Kevin says:

Andy,

What a great tip. I frequently open more than one inbox at a time, just to do what you’ve described. This will be a great help…if I can only remember it. Thanks.

2. PC Doctor says:

Excellent tip!! Thank you.

OK, I am nit-picking here, but the pop-out window is rather narrow and I’d love to have it be maybe 5″ wide instead of the 2 or so inches it is. I tried stretching it and then closing, but it still comes up the same narrow size.

Anyone have a solution?

Thanks,

Tom

• Gina says:

Hi Tom…..There are times when my new compose window comes up very narrow as well, and I have to stretch it. But for whatever reason, it’s not always the case–sometimes it does come up bigger (but even then, I usually stretch it a bit more to my liking). It also pops up in the left top corner, so I also move it more to the center. But it’s gotten to be a habit for me that I just do it without thinking.

3. Rose-Anne Constantineau says:

That’s awesome info…but those that have links set to open in a new tab won’t get a new window they will get a new Tab which is great too – you just click back and forth between the tabs.
    Rosy :)

4. Gina says:

An even easier and faster way to open a new message window is to simply hit “Shift + c” (without the quotes, of course)!

5. Rahul Sharma says:

Thank you for this great tip. I too had to open inbox/sent messages, etc. in another tab. This is really a wonderful tip.

6. vinod says:

Excellent

7. Marty Kaye says:

Great tip. GMail has so many helpful tips and hints, and I haven’t found them all just yet!