Help! I Can’t Upgrade Internet Explorer In Vista

Saturday, January 4th, 2014 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips, Using The Internet

Matt writes:

I have a Compaq Presario C500 and I’ve been trying to update to a newer version of Internet Explorer. My computer keeps trying to tell me to use Windows 8 or 8.1. According to the download my current Vista does not support newer versions. Help!

Matt – if you are using Windows Vista you can only go up to Internet Explorer 9.  It sounds like you are trying to update to Internet Explorer 11. That version is only compatible with Windows  7 and up.

Here ‘s a list of which versions of IE work with which operating systems:

Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1,Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 7 – Internet Explorer 11

Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 7 – Internet Explorer 10

Windows Vista – Internet Explorer 9

Windows XP – Internet Explorer 8

There’s nothing you can do to upgrade past IE 9 with Vista. Though you could try either  the Chrome or Firefox browsers if you are having issues with a particular website.

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to “Help! I Can’t Upgrade Internet Explorer In Vista”

1. carlkaelin says:

cannot instatt ie 9 on vista

2. Pat says:

Very cool tech tip. HOW would I find out which version of IE. I have my laptop is running windows 7.

3. Ronald Allen says:

I was reading your article about explorers, and you have that windows 7 only has internet explorer 10, i got a update to 11 about 2 months ago now and its working fine with windows 7.

4. Keith Monson says:

Why did you run this story twice in the newsletter?

5. Debbie B. says:

I have Windows 7 on my computer and I have Internet Explorer 11 installed on it.

6. Pam says:

I have the same problem upgrading. I now use Chrome and it is fabulous. My computor is like new! Try it!