Help! I’m Spamming My Friends With LinkedIn Invitations

Monday, December 15th, 2014 by | Filed Under: Social Networking

Dave writes:

I need help! It seems like I’m sending dozens of repeat LinkedIn invitations to my friends and contacts. I certainly didn’t mean to do it, I only intentionally sent out invitation to a select group of people I work with.

Dave, it’s not an unusual  problem and the solution is not a pretty one. The issue probably started when you first joined LinkedIn and it asked if you wanted to sent an invitation to your contacts. If you purposely or accidentally said yes, your friends won’t get just one invitation. They will get regular reminders until they accept or decline the invitation. Always take a close look at any option to send something to all of your contacts when signing up for a service or app. One click can cause your contacts to be flooded with things like game requests.

There’s a way to fix it, but it’s not pretty or easy. You will need to withdraw each individual invitation.  Go to this link  https://www.linkedin.com/inbox/invitations/sent

There will be a list of all the invitations sent by your account. Invitations that have been accepted with have (Accpeted) next to them. If it doesn’t say accepted,  it is still a pending invitation and you can withdraw.  You may see a lot of names you don’t recognize. When LinkedIn has permission to use contacts from your e-mail account, it will consider everyone who has ever sent you an e-mail a potential contact and issue invites to everyone in your inbox.

withdraw

Click on the name of the person and then select Withdraw.

withdrawbyname

You’ll need to open each invitation individually and click on the Withdraw option.

Tags: , ,

5 Responses to “Help! I’m Spamming My Friends With LinkedIn Invitations”

1. Joan says:

A part-time co-worker sent us all invitations to join LinkedIn and I had to finally write them to withdraw my name and work address or I would report them for spam. It took a few requests before I got them to comply; annoying site for sure.

2. Neil says:

Spamcop people, report this scumbag company to Spamcop EVERY SINGLE TIME!
    Better yet DON’T USE LINKEDIN for your own security sakes.

3. Jayalita Das says:

Am not getting invitations from my friends in Linkedin. But it is showing in my mail that someone has sent me request. How to solve this problem?

4. Ron Triggs says:

Yes, very frustrating. I purposely and carefully chose not to email invitations and LinkedIn sent them anyway to everyone in my contacts and email account. It’s really embarrassing. I’m considering withdrawing from LinkedIn altogether.
    Ron

5. aaron says:

Can I close my account and would that work?