Help! My Facebook Account Is In Chinese

Saturday, May 30th, 2015 by | Filed Under: Social Networking

Greg wrote us in a panic over his Facebook account:

“My Facebook account has been hacked and I want to delete it. But it’s now in Chinese and I can’t even read It. “

If you can still get into your Facebook account, it’s possible that someone is just playing a joke on you and the password hasn’t been changed. You may have just left your account up on a phone or PC and someone changed it to be funny. Changing the language is fairly simple.

I want you to click on the little down arrow at the top right that looks like this and choose settings. Even in Chinese, it’s still your fourth option from the bottom.
 fbarrow
Now scroll to the very bottom of the page.  You can actually scroll to the very bottom of ANY page, but the settings one is shorter than going through miles of Facebook posts.  At the very bottom of the page off to the left, you’ll see the language that Facebook is being displayed in.  Even if it’s written in a different language that’s still where to click.
 fbenglish
Click on it and you can change the language back to English.
pickenglish
If you can do this, it’s highly unlikely that anyone actually hacked your Facebook account. I know sometimes people use the term “hacked” when they’ve left their Facebook page open and someone posts something on it as a joke, but when I say hacked, I mean someone broke into your computer.  Changing languages is a common joke people play. It’s also possible to accidentally change languages by clicking in the wrong place or bumping your touch screen.  Another popular joke is to pick “upside down English” for a setting.
(note:  happy to report that the switched language was indeed the problem with this account and it was back to English in just a couple of clicks.)

Tags: , ,

19 Responses to “Help! My Facebook Account Is In Chinese”

1. joke says:

thanks i will give it a try

2. Pablo says:

Thanks for the information, finally I was able to change it back to English.

3. Joan Jaquis says:

I did this and it is still in Chinese (?) Help

4. Therese says:

My husband’s facebook account is in a foreign language, possibly Chinese? He hasn’t knowling done anything to change it from English. I followed the advice given … to go to the settings click and then to bottom of screen and click on the language. I did this and chose English (UK) and it was all fine in English, but it takes me to my husband’s login page to facebook and as soon as I click on the entry for that, it all appears in Chinese again? Could you help us please? Thank you.

5. ameena says:

I cannot thank you ENOUGH!!! After seeing Chinese for over a week on my Facebook page and all the instructions I found were in Chinese (even my Facebook instructions came up in Chinese) then, I found you. Your site was the most helpful – I could follow your signs to navigate my way around to the right changes. Thank you Thank you!! I can now read my posts.

6. Dave Williams says:

Worked a treat. Many thanks

7. Jocelyn fraemohs says:

But the drop-down setup menu is in Chinese and I can’t understand it.

8. […] How to change your Facebook language back to English […]

9. Anne Ali says:

Following above instruction, still in a version of Chinese.

10. Susanna says:

11. Anne Warren says:

I did as advised but I still have Chinese. It is mostly Chinese as well as English but the proportion of Chinese is increasing. Help!

12. Toni says:

You are life savers and sanity savers! It worked perfectly

13. gail white says:

cant get my facebook back to english i tried the setting but still coming back to another language please can u help me its getting me very frustarated

14. Andrea says:

I can’t thank you enough. Thanks, thanks thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. agnes says:

i cant reach the bootom line on my facebook aacount since its in chinese how wil get my english back

16. Minh says:

Thank you so so much!!

17. Luz says:

Same here. My browser fb account was normal. Its properly set in english lsnguage but when I tried to login in my fb apps , chinese language still occur. How can rid of it?thanks

18. Debbie says:

Suddenly Facebook changed to French on laptop, but not iPad. Found this site, and it was a little different than instructed to find my way back, but I eventually did restore Facebook to English. Now new problem…I’m trying to login to another site on my iPhone and I’m getting and “error” message, in another language! I close it and get a new error message in even a different language! I few weeks ago, I received a series of texts in Chinese (?). 16 of them to be exact. I changed all passwords. What is going on? Is this a hack of some sort? It sure makes me nervous!