How Can I Get Rid Of Windows 8 Charms Bar?

Saturday, January 4th, 2014 by | Filed Under: Windows 8

Karen from Idaho writes:

I want to get rid of the stupid charm bar in and especially the “clock” that keeps popping up in my way.  The charm bar needs to be transparent not wipe out what you are trying to read and made narrower.  And the clock can go completely after all it is down in the corner of the screen! I have found no way to shut it off.  Nor have I found a way to narrow the charms bar and make it transparent.  When I want it is when it decides to hide completely.  And after 7 months I still hate Win 8 and advise others not to purchase.

Karen, the Charms Bar is only supposed to display when you select it and it should disappear as soon as you click or tap off it.  You activate them in one of two ways. Either by swiping from the right or by moving your mouse or touchpad pointer to the upper or lower right corner.

Try to keep your mouse away from the very far right corners and stay away from the very far right of your touchpad when you’re using Windows 8.1. It sounds like you are accidentally activating it. I’ve not experienced this issue myself with Windows 8.1, but it seems some touchpads on certain computer models are very sensitive.  But don’t worry, it’s really easy to turn off.

You will need to start with that dreaded Charms Bar and type  Mouse and touchpad settings. Then tap or click on the results.

The PC and devices screen will open. Select Corners and edges on the left.

You’ll see this screen with App switching and Corner navigation options.

Turn Corner navigation off by grabbing the little slider and moving it to Off.

That should make your Windows 8 experience more pleasant.

Tags: , , ,

12 Responses to “How Can I Get Rid Of Windows 8 Charms Bar?”

1. George Hilbert says:

Why would someone want to get rid of the Charms Bar. It is one of the best features of WIN8 and the system does not function as well without it. If you don’t like the Charms Bar, you should probably just run a WIN7 emulator (there are many)..and be happy with the crippled system.

2. Jo Ann Oxsen says:

I have the same problem Karen has (on my Acer Aspire laptop)and turning off the corners does not help. These charms pop up when I’m not even close to the right side of the screen. Very annoying!

3. Karen says:

I tell you why I want to get rid of it… It is always in the road. Every time I point to the scroll in the bottom right corner it pops up. And you can’t see a blasted thing through that stupid clock to where you could just leave the charms bar there. And it is way to wide.
    I tried going back to Win 7. Bought the disk… locked my computer totally. Had to reinstall the stupid Win 8. After 8 months you would think I would at least start to like it.. NOOOOOOOO. dislike it more and more. Even reading the instructions to shut it off did not do. Had to look all over the computer to find it. By instructions I kept coming to a site that had videos touting the “New Windows8″………… Reading now where they are coming out with Win 9… will wait to see how that is. May update to it. Otherwise think I will just put the Win 7 on my XP and put this new one back into the box.

4. Vivienne Tolis says:

The reason I would like to turn off the charms bar (right side) is to increase the size of my laptop screen — you can reach all the items (search, settings, power, etc. thru the little window icon anyway). As it is now I lose 3/4 of an inch of window space because of the charms bar.

5. [...] right corners. Pointing either place activates the Charms bar.  If the touch pad is the culprit, check out his article.~ CynthiaTags: charms bar, windows 8, Windows 8.1 This entry was posted on Wednesday, July 30th, [...]

6. P Sherb says:

After reading some of these people’s reasons excuses)they do not like Windows 8.0 or 8.1, maybe they should not even own a computer, whether its XP, Windows 7 or anything else.

I have setup 3 Windows 8.1 computers for three senior citizens, oldest 89 years young, and all three just “Love Windows 8.1″ and would never go back to previous operating systems…

• Karen says:

I have also set up computers for seniors. And they also find the Win 8 more confusing. Even deleting a lot of the icons has not helped. Also, know several experts that agree with me on the way I dislike Win 8.

7. Ruth Bryan says:

I thought rudeness was not looked upon favorably. If people don’t like something they have their reasons and it shouldn’t be treated as the previous person has treated it.

8. Karen says:

I still do not like Windows 8 nor 8.1. Locks up more, slows down more, you have to search and search for items. For example these instructions at the top of the page DID NOT bring up the place I needed to shut off the charms bar. Oh it is there just have to search for it. Apparently the “search system” does not like you to find some things. And is the least bit geared to the average user.. And I have been a user of PC’s since 3.11 so am no novice.

9. Brenda says:

I too have the problem with the charms bar and turning off the corners did not work. It still pops up randomly and I cannot figure out why. I have a HP Computer and I am computer literate but can’t figure this one out.

10. Daz says:

I agree. Windows 8 is way to over-complicated and full of bloatware!.. and I thought Vista was bad..
    This OS is bloody rubbish!