How Can I Remove An External Hard Drive

Wednesday, February 4th, 2015 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips

Howard writes:

I am running 8.1. I have an external hard drive connected to the PC. How do I disconnect the hard drive without damaging the data contained in it?

Truthfully Howard, just unplugging that bad boy probably won’t hurt the data or the device at all, but the best practice is to eject the drive. Here’s how to do it.

Go to This PC and right click on your external drive and select “Eject.”  Then remove the drive.

ejectcdrive

Tags: , ,

5 Responses to “How Can I Remove An External Hard Drive”

1. Linda Ann Graham says:

Or, you can just wait until the computer is turned off and remove it without incident.

2. Jadesqr says:

Hey Cynthia,
    Great tip, I can find no info in my external hard drive documentation on how to unplug it.
    ‘Eject’ makes sense as I have no idea if an update or backup is running in the back ground and just unplugging could be detrimental. To ‘Shut Down’ makes sense too.

3. Tony Carlone says:

Sounds like great info…But when I right-click my external drive, “Eject” is not shown in the menu, but all other options, like “Format”, “Copy”, “Rename”, etc are available. Any advice?

• Jadesqr says:

Wow, guess my ‘DOG’of a Vista machine has something your machine doesn’t. Hope Windows 10 brings this feature back.

4. Tony Carlone says:

Hi, Cynthia. Always love your articles. Great info here, but when I right-click on my external hard drive via File Explorer, it does NOT have “Eject” in the menu, but all other items, like “Format”, “Copy”, “Rename”, etc, are listed. Any thoughts on why this is? Thanks.