How Can I Stop Windows 10 From Installing?

Sunday, May 17th, 2015 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips, Windows 10

Lamar is worried that Windows 10 is going to automatically install.  “When Windows 10 is released how can I stop it from installing automatically during Windows Updates? I want to wait as long as possible before installing 10.”

windows10phonecrop

Windows 10 is expected to be delivered through Windows Update, which will make it super-easy to install and encourage more early adoption. Whether or not users will receive some type of notification to update hasn’t been announced. My guess is that they will and will need to approve the update.

I still wouldn’t worry. I’m sure Microsoft will give plenty of notice as to when the updates are available and you can just turn off automatic update and handpick which updates you want to install on your Windows PC.

I wouldn’t suggest putting off the installation of Windows 10 as long as possible. It’s actually a pretty nice system that should seem familiar to both users of Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Tags: , ,

61 Responses to “How Can I Stop Windows 10 From Installing?”

1. Kevin says:

My question is why are all Governments allow Microsoft or anyone for that matter to act this way.
    Intruding onto one computer without specific permission or a court issued warrant should be class as an illegal entry onto private property and subject to criminal charges.
    Then when one looks into law there are plenty protecting corporations from intrusion from us poor sods but hardly any to protect the common person from the corporations. Government for the people? Load of BS.

2. Martin says:

This is bs. I have windows 10 on another hard drive and I think it is a bunch of crap. Trying to force me to download an unwanted program is BS. I have had to install windows 10 three times because it is junk.

3. Martin says:

And on top of everything you do not tell how to avoid windows 10. Microsoft must be paying you to keep your mouth shut. This competer belongs to me and no jackass is going to tell me what to put on it. this includes Microsoft.

4. Cynic says:

Lamar can downgrade from his current version of Windows to an earlier version (eg:ViSTA) that does not include a free upgrade to Windows 10. Then Microsoft will have to ask him to upgrade to 10 – and she can say “No”.

5. Jeb says:

No doubt, it’s Windows NP, no privacy and you’re going to download and install it whether you like it or not. I only know of 2 fixes, look up Linux or Mac.

6. Jeb Again says:

Good job moderator. Maybe you can relieve the world of severe verbal trauma with your censorship and find the answer to world peace someday.

7. Beck says:

Good Morning,
    I had a problem with my computer and I have kept my warranty up on my Dell desk top. I called them and they fixed my problem. Now they are telling me because I have an old model I can not install windows 10. I want to know if I can up grade to windows 8.1. with out a problem and is it free like windows 10 ? I have windows 7 professional. Any help would be wonderful.

8. TeryMac says:

Who is Cynthia? Clearly a MS plant. Nowhere in this stream or elswhere have I found a way, after foolishly “reserving” 10, to stop it installing. The latest pop-up allows me to delay installation but I MUST select a date in the next few days – no other options, it will instal without my permission. Outrageous. After 20+ years with Microsoft, it has finally caused me to hate it just enough more than I loathe Apple for me to switch. Meanwhile, I’ll uninstall Windows Updates in Control Panel and disable Wi-fi. Microsoft – hear my small voice among the millions that DON’T want your hated Windows 10.

• cynthia says:

• Victor Golf Charles says:

“I wish I were an MS plant. Then hopefully, I wouldn’t have to pay for Office. I didn’t say in this tip that I could keep Windows from downloading to your updates, only put off the attempts to install. Remember that anyone’s advice on stopping the update info from getting onto your PC or installing is based on his or her own experiences. Microsoft isn’t telling.”
        Let’s just say I believe everything you say, Cynthia. Which I don’t. Because you are full of bologna. Now, to translate it…
        “I am a Microsoft plant. I admit that I don’t want to help you prevent installing Windows 10, but rather to make your futile little lives more and more miserable. Microsoft is paying me to promote it, whether it’s actually good or not. Suck on deez nuts.”

• cynthia says:

Victor, as I’ve said, Microsoft doesn’t pay me a penny. As I’ve said, I’m the one paying them for their services. Any implication otherwise is completely untrue. There’s also no need to paint nasty pictures.

9. Ian says:

why do I HAVE to have it??

10. Dianne says:

Windows 10 installed itself on my computer without my authorization (good job, Microsoft) because I happened to be away from my computer when the nag came up. When it was finished, I found I could not use my scanner any more (great job, Microsoft) so I went back to Version 7 because I can’t afford to buy a bunch of new electronics just because Windows 10 doesn’t like my old equipment. Now I want to know how to keep the installation from happening a second. Tell me to “don’t worry, be happy” does zip for me.

• Dee Wright says:

It also installed on my computer after about 100 no, do not install. I hated it. it took me a few days to have time to undo it, then everything required my signing in or trying to redo passwords. Today after removing it, I get a message saying, when do you want to put windows 10 on your computer? There is not a NO on the thing. Every one I’ve spoken to who is an expert on this, says do not use windows 10. ( most of the people I know that work on computers say it’s junk) I sure wish I could afford an apple. I love their other products.

11. steve says:

I am afraid of turning my computer off, because if I do windows 10 will install. I run pro tools music software, which has not yet finished testing and certifying that it will run properly on windows 10.

I DO NOT WANT WINDOWS 10 TO INSTALL UNTIL AVID SAYS IT IS OKAY TO INSTALL IT. It will turn my computer into a useless piece of garbage I cannot use at all.

Microsoft sucks more that a hoover vacuum to do something like this. The free upgrade from windows 8 is nice, but it has to be on my time, not theirs.

What a screwed up company. I should go back to Apple.

12. Roberto Markham says:

Microsoft is only doing what all governments have done for years and get away with it because they have the politicians bought and paid for. This rubbish tried to instal on my machine but luckily I saw it in time There are many sites with good info on how to get rid of the update, just search. When the time comes that I cannot use Win 7 Pro is when I buy a Mac – forsure.

13. Cheryl Lee says:

How do you get rid of Windows 10 and reinstall Windows 7

14. Rob says:

1. To stop windows 10 installing, deinstall the update kb3035583. For details instructions, go to http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-stop-windows-10-upgrade-downloading-your-system
    2. If windows 10 has installed you have 30 days to go back to your old installation (after that it is a complete reinstall from scratch). you can go back to your previous version of Windows by going to Settings > Update & security > Recovery and selecting either Go back to Windows 7 or Go back to Windows 8.1.

15. Victor Golf Charles says:

Hey, I got an idea, Cynthia: How about you give everybody REAL advice on how to prevent Windows 10 from installing?