How Do I Get Windows 8 To Stop Asking Me To Upgrade?

Tuesday, July 15th, 2014 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips

Margaret writes:

I have Windows 8.  How to stop it from asking do I want to add Windows 8 and a half?

I think you mean mean Windows 8.1, Margaret. And the best way to do that is to just do the free upgrade to Windows 8.1.  The upgrade won’t take long and it doesn’t overwrite any files. Windows 8.1 has many nice features and you also need to do the upgrade to make sure you can receive the latest security updates from Microsoft.  You shouldn’t notice much of a change between 8 and 8.1.

To learn the easy steps to upgrade to 8.1, click here.

Tags: , , ,

6 Responses to “How Do I Get Windows 8 To Stop Asking Me To Upgrade?”

1. T. Delgado says:

If I do the update I will lose about 4 programs that won’t work in 8.1. I’ve already lost about 8 graphics programs in the move from XP. I am on a fixed income and can’t afford to keep replacing programs. And we all know that Microsoft’s compatibility program is pretty worthless. Microsoft needs to be forced to comply with the lemon laws. Their product should be perfect before it is put on the market.

2. Ron says:

That is “fine”.

However, I belong to the group that feels that Win 8.1 represents the greatest invasion of privacy perpetrated on mankind. Worse than the NSA.

If you plan to go to Win 8.1 this article describes several steps you should consider taking:

The hidden fangs of Windows 8.1 — and how to avoid them

As well, there is another thing you forgot to mention. If you go to Win 8.1, MS insists you install Win 8.1 Update 1, aka Win 8.1.1. If you don’t, then after about 6 weeks Windows Update will NO LONGER update your computer.

3. Eric says:

Win 8.1 has upgrade issues. Takes a call to Microsoft to get it working right and issue a new Product ID. The Win 8 Product ID won’t work on Win 8.1, Win 8.1 Pro, or Win 8.1 Pro Media Center.
    This has occurred each time I updated to Win 8.1 and each time I helped many others through the process,

4. Mark Gentry says:

The article states, “you also need to do the upgrade to make sure you can receive the latest security updates from Microsoft.”
    I am running Win 8.1 and cannot get update. I have read there is an update (Win 8.1.1). What can I do to get update?

Thanks for your help.

• cynthia says:

Mark, go to your update center and check to see if there are any updates available. Start typing Check for updates from the Metro screen or open the search charm in the desktop and type check for updates. Click on the Icon and it will tell you if there updates available.

5. Mark Gentry says:

Cynthia thanks for your response. I have checked to see if any updates are available. No updates are available. I assume that there is not an update to Win 8.1 and what I read previously (don’t remember where I read it)is not correct. I was thinking something may be wrong with my computer.