How Do I Stop Pop-Ups In Words With Friends

Tuesday, July 8th, 2014 by | Filed Under: Android, iOS

Shawn from Minnesota writes:

I play Words With Friends on my tablet and every single time I make a move an ad pops up. I have to watch at least a few seconds of it before I can get back to the game. How can I get rid of these pop-ups?

There’s one solution, Shawn. You can pay for the full version of Words With Friends.  It will cost you $4.99, but you will be spared those commercials. Otherwise, those ads are just the price you pay for your “free” app.

Tags: , , ,

25 Responses to “How Do I Stop Pop-Ups In Words With Friends”

1. MarkJ says:

Way to tell it like it is Cynthia. How can some people pay $80-90 a month for a phone and think $5 for an app they use everyday is too much. I guess too many of us have gotten used to the “Free” apps situation. Though it sounds like this game’s ads are more intrusive than most which simply display at the bottom all the time instead of popping up.

2. Les Arthur says:

I had the same frustration and for sometime, didn’t know how to even buy the “pay” version (I use a Kindle Fire) because it was not listed in the app store; however, I finally found that option in the menu within the game. It is well worth paying for it – not only did the ads stop coming, the game itself runs much smoother.

3. Kevin says:

Unfortunately you guys don’t realize people play on facebook and there is no option on facebook to buy the app….

4. Larry says:

My mother in law wants a words with friends version without pop up ads. We can’t delete her current version on her iPad and buy the $4.99 version. Then box always comes up saying open, without the $4.99 option ever appearing.
    ???????

5. DEBORAH CHOPTOVY says:

I THINK IT IS SNEAKY OF YOU TO TELL US WE HAVE TO PAY IN ORDER TO NOT GET THOSE ANNOYING ADS…NO OTHER GAME IS LIKE THIS…I REFUSE TO PAY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE OF ANNOYING ADS…TOO BAD..I LIKE THIS GAME

• cynthia says:

Actually, Deborah – many other “free” games do require you to pay to upgrade to ad-free version. When you think about it, to maintain a game, you need to make money on it. The money can come from people paying for the game or from advertisers. But it has to come from somewhere or there would be no way to support the games. Just like television, you can watch ads or pay extra for premium ad-free services.

• Lana March says:

I just did pay for the upgrade. It is S9.99, not $4.99 as mentioNed above. That is ONE expensive upgrade if I may say so myself.

6. Suzanne says:

I would like to get the the words with friends app without pop up ads…if I delete the free version…it says it will delete all data…so all current games will be lost. Is this correct?

7. Jeanne says:

Download adblock for free. Works like a dream.

8. nunya says:

I have the paid version, but unfortunately the moronic developers didn’t consider their own ads. I get constant urging to buy their hindsight tool or to sign up for community match

9. Noni says:

I don’t begrudge an ad every now and again but on Facebook an ad after every play is ridiculous. So what I do is play my word, highlight the url and as the ad appears I press enter and the game continues with the ad gone. Still annoying but not as much as those ads are.

10. Colin says:

I get how to stop the ads between turns. How about the ads running on the bottom of the screen non stop as I’m playing? It bogs my computer down something awful. I’m sure there’s a setting somewhere and I haven’t located it yet. Anyone have any ideas?

• Moe says:

Colin: did your get an answer re those ads beneath the game board….as you say they really bog down the game and most times make it impossible to play a letter.

11. Sunny says:

can i retain all my word games if i sign up for ad free??? or do i have to start all over??

12. Lana March says:

No, if you upgrade from within the game, you need not to worry. It will upgrade without changing anything and it will keep your games.

13. Cb says:

Have just gone into Settings. No option to upgrade :(
    Tried to download the paid App, didn’t work…

• cynthia says:

You need to be in Setting in the game, not in Android. Go to the very bottom of your home page and tap settings. At the top of settings, you’ll see a header that says Ads. Then Remove Ads with a buy now button.

14. Joan says:

I want to buy words with friends for my HP Stream 8 but as it isn’t android, even google play won’t let me download the app. I am more than happy to pay for the game to get rid of the ads that are between moves and also the side ads in facebook that are encroaching onto the player board. Ant
    Any help?

• cynthia says:

An HP Stream is a Windows computer. The Google Play Store only sells apps for Android. You would need to check the Windows app store to find the version for your device.

15. Bonnie Mc Cune says:

I play Words With Friends on Face Book on my Mac Desktop and would love to Remove Web ads and I am willing to pay. I have searched everywhere and tried to follow instrctions but it is as if there is no option…..Can someone help me ??

Bonnie

16. Danny says:

I have the paid version and like others I also play WWF’s on FB and today ads started popping up on FB’s WWF’s.

WTF?