looking for freeware

How Do I Update Flash Properly?

Tuesday, December 3rd, 2013 by | Filed Under: Free Downloads, Quick Tips

Laurie  from New York writes:

I am using a laptop running windows 8. Every time I go on the web I see a box that says I need to download a Flash Player. I’ve tried once or twice, and I get some odd type of flash player that installs a bunch of other junk with it. What do I do to update Flash Player properly?

Those tricky little reminders to update Flash Player are a prime way to sneak unwanted toolbars and add-ons onto your computer. They do offer a Flash Player download, but with strings attached. My advice is to never click on one of those suggestions to update Flash Player.  If you think you legitimately may need a Flash Play update, go to Adobe’s official site and download any updates from there.  Click here to go to get.adobe.com/flashplayer/.   You’ll notice an option for a free McAfee Security scan, but you can just uncheck that and choose install.

Make sure you turn on automatic updates for FlashPlayer or regularly check Adobe for updates. That way you know you’ll always have the latest version.

Tags: , , ,

6 Responses to “How Do I Update Flash Properly?”

1. Pamela says:

Even when you go to the official Adobe site to download the update you have to be careful. They always have add the toolbar already checked off. You have to know to uncheck that box. I think Adobe should be made to change that to if t the toolbar then you have to check off for it in the box.

2. Burton Beamer says:

This tip needs more comment. I run win 7 and ie9. I tried both ie10 and ie11. Some e-mail will not work for Adobe (and this includes flash player)
    using i.e.10 and 11. These two microsoft browser up grades step all over Adobe. Something is seriously wrong with one or the other.

3. Mike says:

Excellent. Finally the right answer. Keep up the good work Mike

4. ron clark says:

Not really the point.
    Until you get rid of these annoying ads you cannot stream programme.
    Seems a particular problem with tablets.
    not all they are cracked up to be.

5. Joe Doran says:

When I go the Adobe web site to download the flash to avoid the “extras”, it loads half (50%)and stops and says to stop the Internet Explorer program before proceeding and I have no IE program running. Please advise, Joe

6. bg says:

i have the same problem…how do i get rid of this thing, it just keeps popping up and when i get to the adobe site, it does not load the entire program becuz it says to stop ie (if i top ie, how will i get to abobe?
    help! please…thanks!