How to Change the Default Font in Word 2007

Monday, January 16th, 2012 by | Filed Under: MS Office Help, MS Word

Carol from Vancouver writes:

How do you change the default font in Word 2007 to another default font?

If you’re anything like me, then you love being able to speed up those tasks that take a lot of time because of the little things you need to change.

With this in mind, this tip will show you how to change the default font in Word 2007 – meaning that you won’t ever have to change the font to your personal favorite when opening a new document ever again.

Simply open a new word document.  If you’re already in Word, click the Microsoft Office Button at the top left of the screen, go to the New Document pane, click new and then blank document.

Click Font in the Font group and choose the Font and point size that you want the default to be.

Now click Default and a dialog box should open and ask if you want to make the change to all new documents based on the NORMAL template, click OK.

And that’s it folks!

~Matthew McGuire

Tags: , , , ,

6 Responses to “How to Change the Default Font in Word 2007”

1. Jean Lutz says:

This does not work. I’ve done dozens of times and it just doesn’t take.
    Is there another method to change the default? There is a similar problem with Outlook in trying to create a default for email.

2. Jean says:

You forgot to say where to find the default button for Windows 7. :-( It’s so small and yellow, I couldn’t see it. But my son found it for me.

But thanks! I’d been meaning to find how to fix that ever since I got my new computer.

3. Dic Ver Hage says:

I agree with Jean. I’ve tried this route several times and it doesn’t carry forward from the document I’m working on!

4. Joye Bunds says:

I have Microsoft Word Starter 2010 and it worked just fine for me. There’s a very tiny icon in the lower right-hand corner of the “Font” section that needs to be clicked for the window to open where you can choose “Set to Default” in the lower left-hand corner.

5. L A Graham says:

Doesn’t work like that for me. Every time I’ve done that, I’m back in the blank document and being asked whether to save it; then I have to give it a name. This sticks ONLY if I open that blank document and then save as whatever I want the new document to be. Still a pain in the behind.

6. L A Graham says:

Joye, this is for Word 2007!! And we’ve all found (I’m sure) the “set as default” button and clicked that and “apply.” It just does NOT work as stated for Word 2007.