How to Clear Browser Cache and Navigation History on Android Phones

Tuesday, January 24th, 2012 by | Filed Under: Android

Nestor from Toronto writes:

How do I  clear up cache etc. on my Android phone?

Hi Nestor, Android has two types of cache: Browser and Applications. This tip addresses how to clear the browser cache. I’ve used the most commonly found version of Android, 2.2,  to illustrate the steps. To clear the Browser Cache and History, perform the following steps.

Step 1: Launch a Browser window.

Tap for the Applications Menu in Android

Open the Browser in Android

Step 2: Press the menu key on the phone. Typically, it is the left corner key on Android phones. After you press this key, some options appear.

Step 3: Tap More

Tap More to access the Browser Settings in Android

Step 4: Tap Settings

Tap Settings to Access the Browser Settings in Android

Step 5: Scroll down to Privacy Settings. Here you’ll notice two options, Clear cache and Clear history. Tap the appropriate option to clear it.

Scroll Down to the Privacy Settings to Clear the Browser Cache in Android

Step 6: A warning window appears. Tap OK to complete the action.

Warning Message before Clearing the Browser Cache in Android

Step 7: Perform Step 5 for Clear history.

That’s it! By clearing the browser cache, you’ll notice some degree of performance improvement of your Android phone. For more improvements, you’ll need to clear the cache of the Android applications installed. The procedure is a little different. I’ll provide a tip for that as soon as possible. So, do keep a look out.

~Rupen Sharma

Tags: , , ,

5 Responses to “How to Clear Browser Cache and Navigation History on Android Phones”

1. Tara says:

Why does my Android 2.2 phone keep turning off on it own? It has been very hard to deal with since I use my phone for expected calls, texts, and emails.
    Any ideas?

• Alberta Whitaker says:

Tara – I really hope someone can answer this and find a solution – Mine does the same thing and it is so inconvenient and annoying! I read somewhere it was the motherboard and by setting everything back to factory settings it would solve the problem. Of course you lose all your data. I am going to try deleting some of the apps – maybe one of them is causing this problem. Lots of luck…

2. sandyrichardson says:

is your phone turning off or just your display? I don’t think your phone will turn off on its own, but the display will go out if you have it set for only a short time. Check your display settings and see what you have set for the amount of time the display stays on. I think you can set it for quite a long time and the display stays active. But to repeat, only the display goes out and turns your screen dark – your phone is still active and you should be able to place and receive calls and do anything else you want. The display will come on automatically after you start doing something on the phone. Hope this helps….

3. Hugo says:

Hi Rupen, thank you for great tutorial ;)

It doesn’t work for me (HTC Sensation), but Android Delete History saved my life (for today) :))

4. Hugo says:

Hi Rupen, thank you for great tutorial ;)

I’m not technically skilled, so I’ve paid Android Delete History PRO and it turns me happy again ;)