How to Edit or Add Android APN and Access Point Settings

Thursday, February 23rd, 2012 by | Filed Under: Android

An Android phone depends a lot on the Internet to make maximum use of its features. Connecting to the Internet is easy, as it only requires access point settings from your mobile network operator. Generally, the network supplies APN settings automatically. However, if you want to change your APN, there is an option to do that too. Today, we are going to see how to set access point values in any Android phone.

Every Android phone has a slightly different menu style and look to the user-interface. In that case, you have to look for the relevant name of the utility.

Step 1: Go to your application menu, which lists all the applications. From there, select Settings or the application that appears as the settings utility for your phone, as shown below.

settings-app

Step 2: There will be many sections in Settings. Go to Wireless & networks.

settings-wireless-network

Step 3: In Wireless & Networks, look for Mobile networks.

settings-mobile-network

Step 4: Inside Mobile networks, you will find another section called Access Point Names.

settings-access-point

Step 5: Now, we will add a new APN. Press menu, and click on New APN.

add-apn

Step 6: Now, we can edit the new access point.

add-apn-values

Step 7: Editing the access point requires us to have the Access point name, the APN type and port. You can find these sections in the screen above, and add the details wherever applicable. APN settings for various network providers can be found with a quick search on Google.

set-apn

Step 8: Finally, when you are done editing, you can save the APN details by clicking on Menu and selecting Save.

save-apn

Turning on the Data connection

Now, it is time to come back to the screen in step 4 and select the Data enabled checkbox as shown below.

enable-data

If you APN settings are correct, you will be able to connect to the Internet. You can test this by browse to any website on the Android browser.

android-google-browser
~Chinmoy Kanjilal

Tags: , ,

18 Responses to “How to Edit or Add Android APN and Access Point Settings”

1. roger says:

hay, thanks a lot, it great, 2 hours of research and loading apps, this was the only useful one, thanks again

2. Ann says:

Thanks ever so much, these instructions were exactly right, perfect and what I needed!! Made all so very very simple and easy to do!!

3. robert says:

i have a nexus l700 and it dont have option for changing apn please help thanks

4. fiona says:

i just bought cm flare and want to change the apn but this tutorial taught me how to do it,.. thanks a lot!!

5. Tariq says:

How to enter APN settings manuallay in lenovo S686.

Thanks

• Austin says:

I Also Have D Same Problem As You…..My Lenovo Doesn’t Have An A.P.N Setting Option…..
      If U Figure Out A Way Or By Any Chance Know How To Set It! Pls Remember Me…..@here Is My Number Should In Case…..(+2348160009310)

6. Stalin says:

where to type homepage details in apn setting.? (Samsung )

7. Nadia says:

The article that I needed. I added my New APN – internet connection is available :)

8. tim grogan says:

Cat get past step 5. There is no way to add a new one… What do I do

9. DJ says:

I have the same problem as Tim Grogan. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and I get to step 5 and I can open the access point for Verizon, and change the apn for it, but everything else is grayed out and I will not allow me to add or delete a new one. I have page plus cellular as my carrier which actually uses Verizon towers for service. Any help would be appreciated.

10. junaid says:

is there another option to add APN bcz my cell phone has APN add option is not working

11. issa says:

I need help with my zte concord 2.it says its the wrong APN and I have wrote every APN I haave looked for and what they have given me and nothing wroks need some help pls and thanks

12. Fatai says:

Pls i have a chinese tablets with model Gtab P700+.i cant access the internet,pls how do i go about it.Thanks

13. jack says:

What the reject doesn’t say that anyone could do if their phone let them is that if your phone will not let you add or edit your apn ur screwed. Well not so much but theirs a shitload of work ahead of you.

Because now unlike kiddo up there, you have to root the damn thing and then edit the phone to allow you the option to adjust the bloody thing. How to do that for your specific phone is an adventure up to you!

14. allieu mansaray says:

I want to edit APN of my tablet but there is no way. I reset but no option to enter it.

15. Aidric says:

I need help to my Samsung Duos, It is Plan in globe, then I openlined to cellphone technician, the smart sim is working but it has no mobile data and I can’t add access point. The add symbol or add access point is not working. TIA.

16. iyiola sodiq says:

pls when I press the menu key I don’t know the place that I will get the new APN

17. Prabakar Pisasu says:

Tap and hold menu key to get “Add APN ” option,,,,,,Do the same for saving APN :)