There are many reasons why someone many need to release, and renew their internet protocol (IP) address. For example multiple computers on your network could be sharing the same IP address, which in turn would cause a network IP conflict. Your IP address is similar to your home address, in the sense that it is your computers personal address on the world wide web, and local networks.
How To Release And Renew Your IP Address: (Windows Vista)
1. Make sure you are logged into an administrator profile.
2. Click your Start Menu
3. Click in the Start Search box
4. Type in Command
5. It will bring up a list of programs using the word command in their title. Find the Command Prompt, or Command.exe file in the list. Right click the Command prompt, and run as administrator.
6. Click Continue to allow administrator access.
7. Type ipconfig this will list your IP address, along with your other network information.
8. Type ipconfig/release this will release your IP address.
9. Type ipconfig/renew – this will renew your IP address by having your network reassign a new IP to your computer.
If your running operating systems older than Windows Vista the process is slightly different as described below:
1. Click Your Start Menu
2. Click Run
3. Type in command.exe
4. Follow Step 5-9 as listed above for Windows Vista.