- Worldstart's Tech Tips Newsletter - http://www.worldstart.com -
How To Setup Multiple Account Sign In in Gmail
Posted By amit On July 9, 2011 @ 7:56 AM In E-Mail Help | Comments Disabled
Do you have multiple Gmail accounts and find it really difficult to check email from all of them?
Google lets you access only one Gmail account for every browser session, and there is no direct way to be parallely logged into multiple Gmail accounts in the same browser at any given point of time. You have to log out from one of the accounts, type in the username and password of another Gmail account and check whether you have received any new messages in that secondary address.
Just imagine the situation when you have more than 4-5 different email addresses to consider. You have to remember the username and password of all those accounts and recursively login and logout from one account so that you can check your other Gmail inbox. There has to be an easier way!
Bonus tip: you might like to read our earlier article on auto forwarding emails in Gmail 
Not many people are aware of Google’s multiple sign in feature which lets you quickly flip through any of your Gmail accounts in one click. Here is how it works:
Let’s say you have 4 email accounts, two of them are regular Gmail accounts while the others are in Google apps. Using Gmail multiple sign in feature, you can tell Google that you are the owner of all four accounts. Once you are done with the authorization setup, Google will let you switch between multiple Gmail addresses with a single click.
Here are the steps that needs to be done:
1. Login to your first Gmail account and click the drop down menu on the right top corner of the page. Note that there are two drop down menus in that position, you have to click the drop down menu which has your email address on it.
2. Clicking the “Account settings” link will take you to your Google account settings page. Here, click on “Edit”, as shown below:
3. On the next page, select “On”, choose all the checkboxes and hit “Save”.
4. You are done with this Gmail account. Now logout and login to your other Gmail account.
5. Repeat the steps 1-4 for your second Gmail address. If you have more than two Gmail usernames, you should repeat the steps 1-4 for all other addresses. You have to enable multiple account sign in on every Gmail account you own.
6. After turning on multiple sign in, login to any one of your Gmail inboxes and click the account drop down menu again. Now, you will notice that a new “Switch account” option will be provided, as shown below:
Click “Switch account” and then click on “sign in to another account” link.
7. This will open the usual Gmail login screen on a new window, but there will be a message on the left pane saying that you are enabling multiple account sign in and granting Gmail all the necessary permissions.
Note: Step 7 is one time only, you won’t have to perform this operation every time you want to switch between two accounts in Gmail.
8. Sign in to your second Gmail address and it’s done.
Now when you are logged into your first Gmail account, you can quickly switch to the second one by clicking your email username dropdown and hitting the “Switch account” link. Here is how it will look:
I have shown the example using only two email addresses, but the same method also holds good for 5-6 or maybe 12 Gmail addresses you might own.
Please note that this feature does not depend on the host computer or the specific browser you are currrently using. Multiple sign in is associated with your Google account and will continue to work on all browsers and any computer you use.
Article printed from Worldstart's Tech Tips Newsletter: http://www.worldstart.com
URL to article: http://www.worldstart.com/how-to-setup-multiple-account-sign-in-in-gmail/
URLs in this post:
 auto forwarding emails in Gmail: http://www.worldstart.com/auto-forward-multiple-email-addresses-using-gmail/