I Don’t Want To Be On Facebook

Sunday, October 4th, 2015 by | Filed Under: Social Networking, Using The Internet

Ernie has a question about Facebook Log ins. “My “problem” to me about having to be on facebook or twitter for so many things. I get emails, mostly political, to which I’d like to leave comments but you must sign in to Facebook (mostly). I DON’T WANT TO BE ON FACEBOOK. Any way to get around that?”

Ernie, many of these sites offer alternative ways to log in, though that generally involves creating an account.  Websites love the convenience of Facebook comments because setting up and maintaining comments on a website is a while lot of work. And also, people are more likely to comment if they don’t have to go through the hassle of registering  for comments.

Also Facebook comments get more views because friends of the commenter will also see the comments. They cut down on the level of Spam as well.

Many sites give you multiple options for logging in. For TV Guide I can choose Facebook Twitter, Yahoo or a Google Account (my gmail address) or create a separate account with TV Guide.

Tv-guide-log-in

Log-ins are required for posting comments to help stop Spam and to also discourage people from being threatening or insulting on line.

There are sites like Disqus – a global comment log-in platform that will allow you to log in with an e-mail account and then let you log into many websites with that profile.

discus-log-in

However, there are some sites that only offer a Facebook log-in option.

dispatc-log-in

If no Facebook alternative is offered, you can just skip the commenting. You could also contact the site and request an alternate method of registering.

Be aware that even if you start a Facebook account, you aren’t required to do any actual Facebooking. You certainly don’t have to post and you can fix the privacy setting so that other people can’t find you when they search on Facebook. You could certainly set up a profile for the purposes of logging on to sites, then set it with super-tight security so that no one can tag you or post on your wall, or even find you in a search on Facebook. You’d never have to bother looking at it again if you didn’t want to.

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to “I Don’t Want To Be On Facebook”

1. Bob Price says:

I got tired of trying to access certain sites because it seemed FB was the default option. I created a FB account just for the ability to quickly log on to several sites. I’ve never seen or visited my FB page.

2. Joyce Hansen says:

I thought I got hacked on FB, but FB said they (if it’s really them) that they disabled my account. ( Didn’t say why) Now they want me to email them one specific picture ID and a copy of my birth certificate and Social Security number. I never had to provide this info when I signed up years ago for FB. Is this for real? How do I even know if it’s FB? I haven’t sent (emailed) this info because I don’t think it should be necessary just so I can post on FB and my own account. What gives? Please help me Cynthia. I’m probably not the only one this has happened to and certainly don’t want this personal information given the FB or anyone else.

Can you find out if FB does this?

3. Joyce Hansen says:

Can you find out if FB does this Cynthia?

• cynthia says:

Actually FB does sometimes require this if there have been multiple attempts to hack your account. But if it is legitimately FB, they will tell to block out any identifying information like your actual driver’s license number or password number. If you aren’t sure, why not go directly to their log-in page and enter your question.

4. Vince says:

Simplest way around it is set up a yahoo,gmail or other free email account and use the new account to set up a FB account with whatever false info you wish to give the slimy scum at FB.
    I don’t like them tracking,gathering and selling any info they can about me so I keep a few of these false accounts to use at any given time.
    Against the rules? Who cares?
    Worst case scenario they figure it out and close your false account….just create another.
    As long as your not doing this for illegal purposes or to hide your ID while disrespecting people or posting rude comments than in all reality it’s not only legal but the moral thing to do because it ruins their spying on people because companies won’t know who is real and who isn’t making the stats gathered useless.

5. Genie says:

Just watch out for Disqus! I never gave it permission to link with Facebook, yet it did it on its own & somehow linked a friends Facebook account (she’d used my computer) to my Disqus, which caused a lot of confusion.