I Need To Switch From IE 8 To Firefox

Saturday, December 27th, 2014 by | Filed Under: Using The Internet

Norma from Lena, IL writes:

I need to change my browser from IE to Firefox. Do you have instructions on how i should do that? My bank upgraded and went to a higher version of IE and my computer will not go any higher than 8.  I need to change so I can go to my bank account. I am 81 years old and need help.

Norma, if you have a Windows XP computer, you should not be doing your banking online. It is not secure. You shouldn’t be going online at all, especially using Internet Explorer 8 and you certainly should not be banking with that browser. Microsoft ended security support for Windows XP back in April and it’s just not possible to keep that system truly secure online. There are things you can do to make it a little safer, but ultimately, it’s not safe for banking.

It’s pretty easy to get Firefox. Just click this link to go to Mozilla and download it for free.

Click the green download link.

downloadff

When the window below opens, click Run.

run

Then follow the steps to install.

nextfirefox

Then just click on the Firefox icon when you want to use the Internet.

firefoxicon

However, even with the latest version of Firefox, your XP computer is not safe for banking. You would be better off banking either over the phone, by mail or in person.

You might look into a refurbished Windows 7 desktop, which Staples online and other retailers have for just over $100 or check out some of the new, inexpensive Windows laptops like the HP Streambook which sells for just $200.

refurbedwin7

Expensive, yes. But far less expensive than having your account compromised.

Tags: , , ,

5 Responses to “I Need To Switch From IE 8 To Firefox”

1. Barbara Pickett says:

Good, simple, straight advice Cynthia.

2. Richard Furst says:

Get off that NO XP band wagon. It is the best platform M/S ever developed. Since they decided not to support it, only to get you to buy the newer but less efficient operating system, there should be no concerns.
    I have never taken an update from them and my XP computers work fine.

• cynthia says:

Sorry Richard, but XP isn’t supported by Microsoft and it is highly vulnerable. I’m not denying it was a good platform, but it was not very secure. Using XP is very much akin to leaving your doors unlocked. You could leave your door unlocked for years and never have a break-in. But I wouldn’t suggest it. Also, just because your computer works fine, does not mean it has not been compromised. All of those computer systems for the major retailers that were hacked for millions of credit card numbers were working just fine. There’s no reason someone stealing your information would want to disrupt your use of the computer. But, if you want to stick with it Richard, I wish you good luck. But it’s not something I can advise for others.

3. DanG says:

XP here and still running great, smooth and Safe.
    IF it were “unsafe for banking” – why are half a million ATMs still running it?
    microsoft says … blah blah blah … Yawn.

• cynthia says:

Dan, most of those banks have paid Microsoft a whole lot of money (and I mean millions) for customized support while they transition to newer operating systems.