In The News 04-03-15

Thursday, April 2nd, 2015 by | Filed Under: In The News

Twitter Tries Out Filter For Offensive Tweet

Twitter is trying out a new filter that offers to rid your Twitter feed of threats and abusive language.  So far the filter is only available to some users of the iOS version of the Twitter app.  According to Twitter. the Quality Filter can help remove Tweets that contain threats, offensive or abusive language and duplicate content. It also aims to weed out messages sent from suspicious accounts.

twitter-logo

Right now it’s only available to “verified users” which means it is pretty much limited to public figures and brands.  Verified users are limited to what Twitter calls, “highly sought users in music, acting, fashion, government, politics, religion, journalism, media, sports, business, and other key interest areas.”

Broadband Companies Sue The Government

Broadband providers are not happy with the FCC plan to enforce net neutrality. The US Telcom Association filed a complaint with the US Court of Appeals. They think the the FCC’s attempt to categorize the Net as a public utility is a violation of federal law and an abuse of power. The organization says that the FCC’s “previously light-touch” when it came to the Internet resulted in a decade of amazing innovation.

In a statement, the group said, “USTelecom strongly supports open Internet rules, but disagrees with the Federal Communications Commission’s decision to reclassify broadband Internet providers as common carriers.”

Would You Pay Your Bills With Gmail?

It seems like someone introduces a new way to pay every other day. Not it looks as if Google want to let Gmail users pay their bills through their Gmail accounts. A leaked document suggests the service will start by the end of the year.

Gmail2

Bills would come directly to the user’s inbox and they would be able to pay with one touch. Of course this would give Google access to a lot of user information, including what you buy and how much money you have in the bank and that could raise privacy concerns.  The company already scans Gmail messages for content in order to target ads to users, will it do the same with your banking information? There’s no official word on that since the service has not been officially confirmed.

Tags: , , ,

38 Responses to “In The News 04-03-15”

1. Tom B says:

Absolutly not I would never pay bills via the internet and would never allow a third party access to my checking account. What is in my accounts is my business and no one elses.

2. Steve B says:

I’m satisfied with my bank’s bill-pay option. It’s set up to be a secure service inside a secure service and I’ve never had a problem.

3. Kathy says:

No. Security has not kept up with rolled out technology.

4. sarah says:

No way!!!!!!!!!

5. sarah says:

No way. Don’ think it will be safe enough.

6. john clas says:

i agree with tom b. companies come up with all these cutsy things and then they dont make them safe enough to use. why should i let google or any other company know all my info and bank details…just because i am too lazy to write a check??? i will pass forever.

7. Charlie says:

Totally agree with Tom B and John. Since its inception, the “Internet” is patently INSECURE.
    No way.

8. Marilyn says:

I do pay my bills through a very secure bank site, but don’t want Google finding out anymore than necessary about my business. So the answer is NO.

9. Doris says:

No way would I pay bills with an email account. I dont even pay with an online banking system. I access my account only to see if a check has cleared or if a paycheck has arrived.

10. Doris says:

No Way would I pay bills with an email account. I dont even do that with a banksite account.

11. Dona Conley says:

Never!!!! It is difficult for me to get to bank but would never do it on line

12. Jadesqr says:

WOW! Great ‘In The News’ segment today. Sure brought out all the dissenters.
    1. I guess in this case ‘the last does come first’, we have used ‘Bill Pay’ for years without a problem. knock on wood, bet everyone is fine with ‘auto deposit’ though.
    2. Why no comments about Twitter editing our content. That is obscene.
    3. Broadband Companies Sue FCC will very interesting. The new FCC reg’s are worth a thorough read and understanding, more content editing here than at Twitter.

13. Diana says:

no i would not use gmail. i like my bank thats good for me.

14. Bryan says:

Absolutely not!! I send my check directly to the creditor with the statement. Quite a few of my creditors are within a comfortable drive and I pay them in person.

15. Donna Kelley says:

No No No! If Google offers bill payment through Gmail they MUST clearly and in BOLD warn users this would give Google access to a lot of user information, including what you buy and how much money you have in the bank plus it would target ads to users in regard to their banking system!!!! I was not aware that Google already scans Gmail messages for content in order to target ads to users and will now close my Gmail account. The public should be CLEARLY informed of this violation to their privacy. Twitter having access to or editing our account? I was not aware Twitter had access to edit our account! I will have to disenroll from Twitter also. Thank you for bringing all this to into the light.

16. Chris says:

No way! I don’t bank online or pay bills online.

17. Fredericka says: