In The News 04-24-15

Thursday, April 23rd, 2015 by | Filed Under: In The News

Junior High Student Arrested For Changing Teacher’s Computer Background

A 14-year-old boy has been arrested and charged with a felony after he used an administrative password to access and change the laptop background of a teacher he didn’t like.

The Pasco County, Florida Sheriff’s Office say the boy had access to to private files and could have altered grades or stolen a look at test questions, but the boy says all he did was change the laptop background.

This isn’t the first time the teen has been in trouble. He was suspended from school for doing the same thing last year.  Right now, he’s facing a 3rd degree felony and is in the process of transferring to a different school.

XP Still Ahead Of Windows 8

A full year after the end of security support for Windows XP, that operating system can still be found on 18% of computers accessing the Internet according to NetMarketShare.  While Windows 8 and 8.1 combined are on about 14% of computers. Window Vista can still be found on around 2% of computers.

xp_desktop

Windows 7 is still the leader of the pack, found on nearly 57% of computers. All Mac Operating systems combined make up about 5% of systems while Linux-based systems account for just under 1.5% of users.  With a free upgrade to Windows 10 available for users of Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 sometime late this summer or early fall, you’ll probably see a faster adoption rate for that operating system.

Apple Watch Launches With A Bang

The Apple Watch was off to a huge start on its first day on the market. Nearly a million people pre-ordered a total of 1.2 million watches online. Watches are priced starting at $349 and can run up to $17,000  The average cost of watches pre-ordered  was around $500.

appleedition

Now that’s just in the United States. Worldwide pre-orders are expected to top 3 million.

Tags: , ,

104 Responses to “In The News 04-24-15”

1. Ernie says:

I have 4 computers all running different versions of win7. There was a notice that there is a update coming from MS that will install win10 on your computer when it is ready for install. I dont have any of my computers on auto update as I like to pick the ones I want to have update, but back to would I install win10, I will install it on my test desktop and install the programs that I have on my main computer and see what happens and go from there since all 3 desktop computers are built the same. If I am happy with it then I will install on all. I hate win8 and 8.1 and stuck with win7.

2. Ed says:

Yes, I will upgrade to 10, but not right away. I’ll let the new OS crash out of the gate for awhile, let the bugs get mostly worked out, then do the upgrade before the free one expires!

3. Martin says:

Throw the book at this stupid kid, and teach him a lesson. If it isn’t done now, he’ll think he can continue to get away with it. That’s the last thing you need. Discipline builds character and teaches you right from wrong. I hope his parents beat the crap out of him.

4. Barry Crompton says:

I preferred XP to Windows 7 in the early days but now think that Windows 7 was a better product and now Windows 8 (and 8.1) has some improvements as well – the only problem is that some XP programs won’t run on Windows 7 64 bit so I have a couple of laptops running 32-bit okay – also used XPinstall to save copies on new Windows 7 PCs and they run fine (other than taking up memory). So I’m waiting to see what Windows 10 will do.

5. Mary says:

I have windows 7 on one computer and windows 8.1 classic shell on the other.At 84 I am happy with both and would up grade to 10.Wonder if I can put classic shell on 10 if I don’t like it?

6. Sonjia says:

Yes, I plan on updating to Win 10. I’m running Win 8.1.1 and my computer is only 1 1/2 yrs. old. I want to keep it up to date. I have read a lot about it on a Win 10 forum, and there’s still a lot of bugs. Don’t see how their going to have it ready to ship in July. I’m going to wait awhile to see how it goes for others, before I download.

7. Sonjia says:

Yes, I plan on downloading Win 10, but I’m going to wait awhile before I do. I want Microsoft to get all the bugs out, before I do a download. I’m running Win8.1.1 now. Looking forward to the download.

8. Dorothy Price says:

Yes, I’m looking forward to Windows 10 when it’s ready for download – anything to get away from Windows 8.1!

9. Steve says:

I’m with Ed. I’ll shift to Win 10 after it is out of the gate, and before the free switchover time expires.

10. Jerry Haas says:

I have Win 7 on my desktop. I have XP on a laptop – some favorite programs will not transfer to higher platforms. This laptop will NEVER go on line again. A comment above stated they will wait for fallout from WIN 10. Me too.

11. Dave Christian says:

Not right away, I’ll wait until service pack 1 is out if possible. I run a computer that dual boots ms-dos 6.2 and windows 98se and another computer that dual boots windows 98se and windows xp professional. Some games just don’t like upgrades period. And I have tried VM and compatibility modes, dosbox, scummvm, and others with some victories but not others and just gave into the realm that the force was not with me. So I went this route and the easiest way to play the games that I wanted to play.

12. Susan says:

I have Windows 8.1 a little over a year now and it took me a good 2 months to figure it all out. This was before Worldstart came out w/their wonderful guide.Since the upgrade will be free, yes, I’ll be there!

13. Susan says:

I’m a little concerned about some of the bugs in the new Windows 10 but surely this will be fixed before the upgrade. I love my 8.1 now but hated it at first. I still have ME on 1 computer & XP on the other but this is my newest.