In The News 05-01-15

Thursday, April 30th, 2015 by | Filed Under: In The News

Microsoft’s New Browser Will Be Called Edge

Microsoft has announced a final name for its new browser for Windows 10. During the technical preview of Windows 10, it’s been known as Project Spartan, but when Windows 10 is released, it will be called Microsoft Edge.

edgelogo

The logo for the new browser will look familiar, very similar to the Internet Explorer logo. The name makes sense, people are used to looking for that big, blue E to go online and this offers some consistency.

You can check out my preview of the new browser here.

Google Extends Chrome Support In XP

Google is extending its support for the Chrome Browser in Windows XP to the end of 2015.  The Company had originally intended to offer Chrome support for a year after the end of Microsoft’s support for XP in April of 2014, but has now decided to keep it up until the end of the year.

croppedxp

Now, this only means that Google is still working on patches for issues in Chrome in XP, they can’t fix any problems with the XP operating system itself. In fact, in the post announcing the extension of support, the company said, “At the operating system level, computers running XP are inherently in danger of being infected by malware and viruses, making it increasingly difficult for Chrome to provide a secure browsing environment. That’s why we strongly encourage everyone to update to a supported, secure operating system. “

Google may be hoping that many users will make the switch to Windows 10 this fall. It’s estimated that between 10 and 20 percent of computers are still running XP.

Smart Pants Could Keep You From Walking into Things

There may be help on the way for people so buried in their phone screens that they walk into poles and holes. Thousands of injuries every year are caused by distracted walking, now some researchers have come up with a way to steer walkers clear of obstacles: smart pants.  They describe the pants as “cruise control for pedestrians.” Electrical stimulation in the pants would actually activate your muscles and physically steer you out of the way. You wouldn’t even have to interrupt your texting to think about moving your leg.

smartpants

The system would work in conjunction with a smartphone app using its location capabilities to steer the walker.  In addition to protecting distracted walkers, a system of this kind could be an amazing help to the visually impaired. Right now it’s still in the experimental stage.

You can learn more about the experiment here.

L.A. Schools Want Millions In Refunds From Apple

Los Angeles Schools are demanding millions of dollars in refunds from Apple because of problems with an iPad-based curriculum implemented by the school system.  It’s part of a billion dollar program by the school district that was called a “civil-rights imperative” to provide low-income students with the same technology enjoyed by kids from middle and upper-class backgrounds.

pearsonscreenshot

The district selected an English and Math curriculum from a company called Pearson based on some samples of a proposed curriculum and the district purchased over 120,000 iPads. It turns out that the vast majority of the schools in the program ended up not even using the curriculum. The district cites poor instructions and tech support for the apps as well as poor design as the major issues.

The district is also threatening to sue Lenovo, who also provided devices to be used in the program. Although  the issues seem to be with the company that provided the curriculum and not with the hardware, the district has decided to pursue refunds from the manufacturers as well.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to “In The News 05-01-15”

1. debisita says:

Its a ripoff to not continue to support XP. They cancel previous systems and create new systems to make us all have to buy something else. Some of us are good with the XP and don’t need any new system. This is the stuff that makes struggling people struggle even more.

2. Al Kempf, Jr says:

Technology will not solve any problems with education when the administrators and teachers can not use the technology properly. Does the LA School district plan any action concerning the administrators who purchased programs that their staff were incapable of using ? The kids from the Middle and Upper Class backgrounds do not seem to have many problems.

3. Eugene Aki says:

I may set up a dedicated XP machine for older programs that don’t run properly under more recent iterations of Windows. It will be only for those programs that don’t need to be regularly updated or can be relied upon to work with certain data…such as older Office documents being opened with Office XP. This machine would not be connected to the internet.

4. Sheila Dukelsky says:

Give the kids the tablets and let the teachers decide how to use them. I taught school for a long time and what worked best was what was decided by the teachers and students. There is plenty of free stuff out there. A proscribed program limits choice. A first grade teacher in a suburb of Chicago uses tablets–the kids blog, send email, and newsletters and learn to read and write.

5. Rosie Neyhouse says:

As a retired teacher, my grandchildren (Kinder, 2, and 4) have their homework assignments, tasks and reminders available online 24/7 and most of them using programs online to finish those assignments. In addition, days canceled (sometimes due to weather or other disasters) are made up using assignments online. As our society becomes more dependent on technology, those without the experience will be left further behind. NOTE: as a teacher, I believe that technology can not replace a live person guiding others to discover facts, truths and understanding of the world we live in.

6. Mike Cunningham says:

I have xp and plan on keeping it. I have tried other browsers. Xp work for me just fine. No malware or virsis. Beside do you think we are all millioners??

7. Ceilia McGehee says:

I use Xp and don’t want to change. I like using Outlook Express and I’m told the newer systems don’t allow it. I am not that computer savvy and don’t know which system I should change to. Just the thought of setting up a new computer just scares me to death. Plus, right now is not a good time for me to buy another computer.

8. Ned Gochenour says:

I’m all for making a buck with new products, however, dumping the customers that bought your products, SUCKS! Come-on Microsoft spend some of your money on taking care of the one that got you there…

9. David Tucker says:

I was educated in a series of traditional educational systems (my dad was an officer in the USAF and we moved every 3 years or so) during the 1940’s and 1950’s. We did not have any of the electronic/digital technology available today, but we got a far better education than America’s children are receiving today. The keys to better learning are personal and classroom discipline, respect for authority, and a curriculum based on conservative and biblical principles. Today’s America is not what I grew up with, and it’s very sad to see the decline in morals and education.

10. J Taylor says:

Still have XP….keeping it.

11. Tom says:

I think that putting sensors in clothes is a big mistake. Let the people with their noses buried in their phones fall or hurt themselves. It might be the last time they do that. It will teach them a lesson!!

12. Roger Reddick says:

One of the best and most stable operating system Microsoft ever came out with. If you know what you are doing and run a top notch anti-virus program you can continue to use the system for a long time, I think they should not have abandoned Win XP and look what happened to Win 8, no one wants it!!

13. Dan says:

I have a Windows 7 computer as well as a Windows XP computer. I don’t plan on getting rid of the XP one any time soon.

14. Ernie says:

As for the issue of the XP, I still have one that is used by our daughter with several speciality programs on it… but it is no longer on line.

As for the issue of the sensor pants, I have to agree with Tom – let them learn the lesson the hard way… If your not smart enough to look where you are going, then you deserve that black eye or broken nose or sprained ankle… Sometimes the school of HARD KNOCKS is the best teacher!

15. Dave Christian says:

I not only have an XP machine, but one that dual boots ms-dos 6.2 and Windows 98se.I also have the XP machine dual booting with Windows 98se and an unofficial service pack 3. I have found over the years that some games mostly just don’t like upgrade operating systems, virtual machines, dosbox, scummvm, or d-fend reloaded. Not that I have tried every possibility there is but enough to know this works for me just fine. My latest computer runs Windows 7 professional. I had the xp virtual machine installed on this at one time but just would not do what I wanted either.

16. Carol Palmer says:

Yes, I have XP and plan to keep it as long as I can. For some reason Microsoft took my virus protection off and I do not have that protection anymore. Not sure why they took it off??? What have you heard about Microsoft 10? When is it coming out? I am not a savvy computer guru and do not want to change. Why is Microsoft making me change?

• cynthia says:

Microsoft ended security support for XP after 13 years in April 2014. Windows 10 is expected in late summer and will be a free upgrade from Windows 8 and Windows 7.