In The News 08-07-15

Thursday, August 6th, 2015 by | Filed Under: In The News

Windows 10 Gets Warm Reception: What Do You Think?

So far, Microsoft’s new Windows 10 operating system is getting a pretty warm reception from Tech writers. Cnet says it “Marks a turnaround moment for Microsoft,” while Yahoo! Tech said that “Microsoft returns to sanity.” and called the OS “coherent.” The Wall Street Journal said, “Windows is actually useful again.” PC Magazine called the release version, “rock solid” and gave a “strong recommendation” for users to upgrade.

windows10universalcrop

I’ve been pretty happy with Windows 10 myself. But what really matters is what do you think? For those of you who have upgraded, what have been your experiences so far? Let us know in the comments.

President Demands Supercomputer Research

President Obama issued an executive order calling for a new initiative on supercomputer research. He wants to create the first exascale computer system (a system capable of performing 1 million trillion floating point operations a second). Since the hardware doesn’t exist to support such a system, this would require a huge investment in overhauling infrastructure.  But the White House feels it’s important for the U.S. to take the lead in the development of this system.

This initiative will be a joint operation of the Department of Energy, the Department of Defense and the National Science Foundation. There’s no word yet on whether is will be called SkyNet.

LG Brings Back The Flip Phone

As phones keep getting larger and larger, LG is reversing the trend by introducing a new flip phone that will sell for less that $200. If has physical buttons and only sports  a 3 MP camera.  However, it does have a touchscreen interface.

LG-gentle-hone

There’s also a fast quad-core Snapdragon processor. This phone make look old-school, but his has up-to-date insides.  For now the LG Gentle is only available in South Korea.

Tags: , , , ,

80 Responses to “In The News 08-07-15”

1. Jerry Haas says:

My experience has been that 3rd party software has not caught up with Win10.
    I have also been told that IF you ever forget your password, and get locked out from logging in, there is no recourse. No password recovery – you are out forever. Then what? I was not given an answer.

2. Pete Lewis says:

It’s not working well for me. I have to turn off and on my computer (with the power button) many times per day. After a few minutes of use, nothing works except the programs I happen to have open. I can’t start a new program, bring up the start window, enter a query into Cortana, or even toggle my speaker on and off.

If I right-click in the task bar, I can select Task Manager, but it never starts.

I asked the Microsoft community about this, but haven’t gotten an answer yet.

• cynthia says:

I’d suggest contacting Microsoft Customer Support directly. I’d choose the option where they call you when available. I had an outlook issue related to Windows 10 and I found them to be very helpful.

3. Ted Baird says:

Loving it so far but NEED my windows 10 purchsed guideto get to know it better.
    Ted

4. t says:

I use Office 2007. After upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7, Windows 10 changed the font in ALL of my documents to a very hard-to-read font. I find this very upsetting.

5. Michael Bolton says:

After several attempts will not install on my HP Pavillion dm1 notebook. Keep getting error code 802 40031 at 2.7 gigabytes downloaded at 99%. Have not attempted to install on my desktop for fear of total disaster.

6. gary Lemmond says:

It works fine you can get internet explorer 11 and use your windows 7 as always and your computer acts normal and then you can go to windows 10. Quit whinning

7. Marty D says:

You can have it. It crashed my HP computer & I did every fix I could find for it. Nothing worked. Called micro people & they had no clue what it was. Finally had to go back & return it to it’s original everything. I hear this has happened to thousands!

8. Joan says:

It’s ok, not that thrilled with it. I’m constantly searching for items that were easily found in the past. I had a whale of a time getting my free copy installed as well and when I called was told my wait time was greater than 1 hour and 30 minutes. Called later in the evening and Microsoft is closed, how nice! NOT. I called the Customer Service number and was given a direct line that at least gave me the option for a call back, which I chose.

Talked with a CSR, Indian of course, and after asking her to repeat things many times (when will companies learn just because you have hired someone who can speak English does not mean they can speak English that can be understood.) Norton was causing the problem with not downloading and after
    trying numerous commands W-10 was FINALLY installed.

I really don’t see what all the hoopla is about as it’s not a very ‘friendly’ system. Seems to do what it wants to do when it wants to and just locks the user out. :-((