In The News 11-18-16

Thursday, November 17th, 2016 by | Filed Under: In The News

County Pays $28,000 To Hackers

Madison County in Indiana paid $28,000 to ransom back their computer system after falling victim to a ransomware attack.  The county’s insurance company offered to pay the demand and the county had to pay the deductible along with an additional $18,000 to have techs bring their computer system back online.

petya-ransomware

The attack his hundreds of PCs and 75 servers. The attack completely shut down the systems, making it impossible for the county to conduct business.

What do you think? Did the insurance company make the right call?  Should you ever pay attackers?

Facebook Founder Denies Influencing Election

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg denied charges that company played a part in influencing the outcome of the 2016 Presidential election. Critics say that fake news stories shared on Facebook tilted the election of Donald Trump.

facebookcrop

In an interview at a tech conference in California, he said, “Personally I think the idea that fake news on Facebook, which is a very small amount of the content, influenced the election in any way—I think is a pretty crazy idea. Voters make decisions based on their lived experience.”

What do you think? Did social media affect your vote? Let us know in the comments.

Over 400 Million FriendFinder Accounts Hacked

400 million users of the FriendFinder Networks have had their private information exposed by hackers.  Among the sites operated by the company are Adultfriendfinder, Penthouse, and Stripshow.

According to LeakedSource, not only were current accounts exposed, but information from deleted accounts was also in the mix.

Tags: , , , , , ,

9 Responses to “In The News 11-18-16”

1. Jane says:

Is there a misprint in the article? Do you mean Mark Zuckerberg said “Personally I don’t think….”? Social media did not affect my vote since I am not a member of Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, etc. Although I am retired, I just don’t have the time or desire to share my life, opinions, pictures, etc. with the world wide web. And I doubt that many people really care to know so much about me.

2. Barry Mosher says:

C–
    If anyone was influenced by anything on face book
    they don’t deserve to vote!!!

3. David Johnson says:

Well I would have to disagree with Mark. I seen so much fake “news” on Facebook & people commenting on it. I think it certainly help spread lies & misinformation. To think that no one is affected by information wether or not were or how the get that information is kinda foolish. the lessen here is that he & a lot of people who have control over our information should be more responsible for what is put on their websites.

4. Patricia Pittman says:

No, I very seldom get on Facebook (my husband does and shares with me) as it takes up too much time. I am an “Eisenhower Republican” from the 1950’s and I vote for the best person (which usually happens to be a Republican…with the exception of Richard Nixon). I truly believed Hillary Clinton is a crook and has no conscience and I did not want her for my president…EVER.

5. Terry Lawson says:

No Facebook didn’t influenced my vote but I think the news media may of influenced allot of voters on their stories about the polls.And 99% of the things on Facebook or fake.

6. Dot says:

I agree with David Johnson!!!!!

7. AbdulCrunch says:

Many so-called Conservative groups and personalities have been blocked on Facebook, due to their staff members showing a predilection toward left of center. My Media experience during the 1970’s was as an editorial cartoonist at two Liberal colleges. I followed the Liberal dictates of my editor in those 2 schools, and also when I did the actual “copy & paste” in a Liberal & Democrat-supporting city newspaper. It was my survival instinct & best interests to follow the Liberal narrative, & Family were Moderate Democrats, with Liberal leanings as politicians.
    Two Governors in my Family, and an ancestor that co-founded the Democrats, would tend to

8. Betsy Henderson says:

Responsible people would watch the debates, listen to the candidates, and then decide who would get their vote. Most of my FB friends are conservatives so I knew the posts would lean toward president-elect Trump. I would not have voted for Hillary even if she promised each household in the country free food and housing.