In The News 12-17-15

Thursday, December 17th, 2015 by | Filed Under: In The News

Walmart Jumps Into Mobile Payment

Walmart announced that it will be adding a mobile pay feature to its mobile app, which is already used by 22 million active users monthly.

walmart-pay

The Walmart app already allows you to make purchases and refill prescriptions from your phone. The new feature will allow consumers to simply tap and pay at the checkout at Walmart stores.  The service will use your phone’s camera to scan a code at the register. Users will then receive an electronic receipt.  Consumers can pay with a debit or credit card or a Walmart gift card that has been scanned into their phone.

Walmart Pay is gradually rolling out to stores in the U.S. and should be available at all stores by summer of next year.

Netflix Is Hogging The Internet

You might associate Internet usage with e-mail or web browsing, but the real king of the Internet is video streaming. In fact, during peak usage hours, almost 35% of bandwidth is being used for streaming Netflix. Another 17% is used for streaming YouTube.  That’s more than half of Internet usage.

netflix cropped

Folks visiting HTTP addresses are a distant 3rd at just over 6%. Amazon Video and iTunes come in at around 3% each. While Facebook takes up a lot of time, it only accounts for about 2.5% of usage, with Hulu right behind it.

Yahoo! Votes To Spin Off E-mail & Web Services

Unhappy with the way the company is going and and problems with plans to spin off its stake in a Chinese e-commerce company, the board of directors of Yahoo has voted to focus instead on its $30 billion stake in the Chinese e-seller Alibaba and instead look into spinning off the e-mail and web services portion of the business that made it famous 20 years ago.

yahoo_mail1

The company brought Marissa Mayer on board to turn things around and she focused on mobile, hoping to help the company catch up with rivals, but with little success.

This won’t necessarily mean the end of Yahoo services. Many companies out there might covet Yahoo’s core users. Among them, Verizon. Their chief financial officer, Fran Shammo said the company would consider acquiring the spinoff if it made financial sense.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

44 Responses to “In The News 12-17-15”

1. Barb Forrest says:

I have used (and still use Yahoo) for many years. I would not like to see it go away.

2. Bruce says:

I would like Yahoo to continue email service, PROVIDING it improves often poor service. It’s good to have a backup email service in case my other email service has problems.

3. Rick Andrews says:

I’ve been using Yahoo Mail for years. It’s my main contact address and as such it catches all the Spam, unneeded and unwanted mailings, etc. It’s been very useful in that regard. Important, keeper emails and contacts are transferred to a Gmail account where I watch over it more closely. I’d like it to stay the same way it is now, but I won’t pay a cent to some other entity who takes it over and wants to charge for it. Especially some outfit such as Verizon, or AT&T.

4. Leslie Giles says:

I have used Yahoo Mail for years on my home PC. I do not have a smart phone and, like many others, cannot afford the extra fees to connect a phone to the internet. The extra fee we have to pay for texting ability is expensive enough. I find it hard to believe that most internet users would want to get rid of Yahoo email service. It seems like Marissa Mayer is out to improve the bottom line (i.e. profits for shareholders) to the detriment of millions of Yahoo customers.

5. OldBrit1 says:

Let ATT have it. Many of us run ATTYahoo mail through one of the ATT owned service servers such sbcglobal. Just let us continue to without interruption.

6. Barry Foster says:

I have used Yahoo for so long I can’t remember. It would be a shame to see it go away.

7. Christine says:

why use this feature if you can just swipe your debit or credit card?

8. Karen Gunvalson says:

Notice my email address? Had it for years and do not want to give it up!!

9. Walter Crawford says:

Yahoo mail is THE BEST MAIL SERVICE on the internet, very user friendly and so easy to customise. I would miss it.

10. RONNA hAYWARD says:

I DON’T WANT TO LOOSE YAHOO IT IS GREAT AND FAMILY HAVE ALL OuR E-MAILS THRU IT .. AND ALL IMPORTANT THINKS TO KEEP FROM E-MAILS..

11. Ronna Hayward says:

Don’t want to loose Yahoo mail at all keep it as it is .Family has all important files and pic there.It would be terrible to loose it all and verizon sucks as a service of any kind in our region.. Never once had a problem with Yahoo mail ..

• cynthia says:

Ronna: It seems unlike that Yahoo! Mail would go away. But it may no longer be a part of its parent company. But no matter how much you like an e-mail service, you shouldn’t keep important files and pictures stored in your e-mail. They should be backed up in multiple places.

12. Salvador Lopez says:

It will be disastrous if yahoo suspends email services. Many users, like myself, use their yahoo address in countless sites and transactions. To eliminate it would cause enormous inconveniences and confusion.

13. chris says:

hope it continues or I will lose many emails and all know my email yahoo address..tragic …and user friendly

14. Amelia Henderson says:

I would like to close my Yahoo account; they are too liberal for me. I have tried to locate an unsubscribe or cancel on the site but have not been able to find one. Also, if I cancel Yahoo I am afraid I will no longer be able to use YouTube.

• Donna says:

You Tube is incorporated with Google. Get a Gmail account.
      I use Yahoo ID/email for Yahoo groups. I hope Yahoo groups will not go away!

15. Randy says:

Marissa Mayer has been a complete failure as Yahoo CEO and should be fired. Mayer’s decision to focus solely on building wireless subscriber growth to the detriment of alienating all long-time core users with platform changes that don’t dovetail with wireless and/or PC users has been exasperating. Her forceful top-down management style combined with a lavish, narcissistic, personal entitlement attitude derived by position alone, has caused total upheaval at Yahoo. Hiring AND firing Mayer will cost Yahoo a fortune.

16. […] response to our In The News article about the possibility of Yahoo! selling off its e-mail and web services to concentrate on the company’s share in the Chinese firm Alibaba, Ronna wrote:  […]

17. […] about getting out of the e-mail and web portal business to focus exclusively on their share in the Chinese-owned Alibaba company.  Yahoo! has already formed a committee to talk to buyers and get the ball […]

18. Ron Fox says:

I never have liked Yahoo Mail. Their spam filter really sucks!!! Now I hear Gmail has been hacked & email lost. So I settled on Outlook.com. No such problems there. Also their allotted storage space increases according to your need. I save a LOT of email and have never been limited on storage space with Outlook.com / Hotmail. Ron Fox – Belvedere, SC

• Donna says:

I have an outlook account too and they must not like me using Yahoo group mail coming to outlook for they blocked half of the post so I seldom use it but I have to keep it for I have it to log in my laptop with it. :'( If it were not for that I would get rid of it a long time ago!

19. Sheila says:

I LOVE Yahoo mail! Recently, my Verizon email went over to AOL and it is the worst email I have ever used. Yahoo has a huge storage capacity and a ton of features that just are NOT there with other email providers. Also I belong to a large FreeCycle group on Yahoo that does a hefty amount of recycling items, much more efficiently than other recycling sites. It would be disastrous to lose my Yahoo email as it is tied to many of the sites I utilize on a daily basis. Please keep Yahoo email the same.