Internet Explorer Drops To #2

Saturday, May 7th, 2016 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips, Using The Internet

After decades as the #1 browser, Internet Explorer has finally dipped to #2. But not by much. New stats from NetMarketShare show that Chrome is now the favorite browser of those surfing the web – attracting 41.67% of users.  Internet Explorer is not far behind with an estimated 41.37% of all users.  Some of the drop-off in Internet Explorer use can be attributed to users accessing the Internet with the Windows 10 Edge browser, though that browser hasn’t had a significant impact yet.

Google_Chrome_icon_(2011).svg

The real loser in the browser game is Firefox.  Mozilla’s browser had dropped down to only a 9.6% share.  Just five years ago, Firefox had nearly 20% of the market.

What browser do you use most often?  Let us know on the comments. Myself, I use Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Internet Explorer on a daily basis. I find each works better for certain tasks.

Tags: , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Internet Explorer Drops To #2”

1. George Yankuts says:

Used to use Firefox but was not giving good performance on my desktop computer. Still use on my laptop. Found that Ice Dragon (striped down version of Firefox) work very well for me. Also I like Opera for speed.

2. Gino Smith says:

I use Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. I find that one works better for certain tasks.
    I also find that sometime’s one might not be as busy and a little faster at time’s.
    But I do like all three. Gino

3. D Cope says:

Waterfox and Icedragon are my choices in that order. Sometimes Tor

4. Jerry says:

I have tried Firefox, Chrome, Opera and 1 or 2 others but I prefer and use Internet Explorer. I even tried Edge for the brief time I had Win10 but still preferred IE.

5. Bobby E says:

I use Chrome, Internet Explorer,and very seldom Edge. I wanted to like Edge and maybe because it is so different I have not given it chance to grow on me. I started using Chrome when I upgraded to 10 because it is enough like IE the learning curve was simpler.

6. Frank Silva says:

My favorite browsers in order
    1- Internet explorer
    2- Windows 10 edge
    3- Chrome
    I enjoy your newsletters. Thank you

7. Jon says:

I use Opera, my wife uses Comodo Dragon, we had too much trouble with Chrome and Firefox in the past year so we don’t bother with them anymore.

8. Lee says:

Have not used IE for 18 years! Have tried using Edge and it looks like it has potential, but I’m told they are still improving it. As long as they don’t copy IE! I use as my prime Firefox as it has the most customizing and I may use Chrome more if the put more customizing options on it (I like my menu bar on top! I do use Chrome for video’s as they don’t seem to buffer as much.

9. john heerema says:

chrome = #1
    firefox + #2
    IE = #2

10. Wanda Weinberg says:

I use IE most of the time. I also use Firefox but have been having some problems with it lately. IE works directly with Outlook and I like that.

11. sacred says:

I hate chrome-refuse to use it. IE ranks #1 followed by Firefox-but both crash/Do Not Respond on a regular basis. I have started using Vivaldi-which is a cross between Opera + Chromium- it has the potential to be my #1. For now, it has inherited chrome’s (Chromium’s) slowness but is in the very early stages.

12. sacred says:

I have recently started to have a lot of problems with IE- wondering if Microsoft is slyly ending support?

13. Jamie says:

1- Chrome – for entertainment
    2- Internet explorer for work and sometimes for entertainment

14. Dave says:

Firefox number 1, Chrome number 2, internet explorer don’t use anymore, not any good use for anything anymore

15. kathy says:

I preferred Chrome however it doesn’t work well with the latest Windows resulting in many, many crashes. MS Edge creates problems while typing with delays and response. Thus, only Firefox works consistently tough I don’t like Yahoo at all as a search engine.